Your take on this...

What is your take on this verse...Amos 9:2...

"Though they dig down to the depths of the grave, from there my hand will take them. Though they climb up to the heavens, from there I will bring them down." NIV

"Even if they dig down to the place of the dead, I will reach down and pull them up. Even if they climb up into the heavens, I will bring them down." NLT

"Though they dig into hell, From there My hand shall take them; Though they climb up to heaven, From there I will bring them down;" NKJV

"Though they dig into Sheol, From there will My hand take them; And though they ascend to heaven, From there will I bring them down." (NASB)

"If they dig through into sheol, From thence doth My hand take them, And if they go up the heavens, From thence I cause them to come down." YLT

Also, did you know that Nave's Topic lists this verse under suicide?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 1:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It would be interesting to see which of these is the "accurate" translation of the original written scripture. Without knowing the context of the verse it's pretty useless to give an interpretation of it, a singular verse can be skewed in so many different directions if you can't see what comes before and after. But it is really interesting to see the different versions.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The whole chapter is a prophecy of Israel being destroyed and taken down because they have turned away from God and chosen to worship other idols instead. I don't know when it was fulfilled, though. Israel, or Jews, have been almost utterly destroyed many, many times so it's hard to tell which time this was talking about.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You NEED to read the entire chapter to gain understanding of that one scripture... It is talking about the rebellion of Israel... the evil and disobedience! Further down it speaks of the restoration of the House of David and the nation of Israel.
    You really really need to read the whole thing first :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't see how it has anything to do with suicide. I read the whole chapter 3 times and all I can see is that it's talking about Israel.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 10:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would need to read this in context. I could pull lots of verses out of the Bible and make an argument that they mean something very different than they do in context...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• When read in context it's clearly showing that divine justice required the kingdom of Israel be called to account for its unfaithful acts and that there would be no hiding place, whether they figuratively dug down or climbed to the highest parts of the earth.

[and that time did come. In 740 BCE, about 60 years after Amos recorded his prophecy, the kingdom of Israel fell to the conquering Assyrians.]

Amos' prophecy helps us see that divine judgment is always deserved and inescapable. God can find the wicked and execute judgment upon them wherever they hide. But the book of Amos also shows that Jehovah’s judgment is selective.
    joyfulily

Answer by joyfulily at 5:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yeah I think if you read the whole scripture in context it probably makes more sense but just the way it is to me basically says that you can't hide from God. He can reach us no matter where we are. And he can see us and what we do and our hearts no matter where we are or what we do.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 7:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Huh. Very interesting.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2010