• In the Spotlight:

i have to know...just in case!!!

this is my first child...i wanted to know exactlty when my labor begins or wht it's like...can anyone tell me how they knew they were in labor or, how u were in labor with your first child and u didn't know??

babygirl_08

Asked by babygirl_08 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, my water broke so I called the hospital and they told me to come in immediately. However, when you start having contractions is a good way to tell. I don't think it's very common to go into labor and not know.
    Anonymous

• It's different for everyone, so I'm sure your experience will be unique to you. My first real contractions felt like heavy period cramps and low back ache and slowly progressed from there. I just started timing them and eventually they were consistent and getting stronger, so I knew it was the real thing. Best of luck!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 2:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• no one can explain this. its different for everyone.
    Anonymous

• just in case what????????
    Anonymous

• With my 1st pregnancy I printed out a list of "signs your in labor" from the web & had it posted and checked it often- I was terrified I'd miss the signs and have the baby at home- LOL. I did not miss the signs- my back was killing me (back labor) I had contractions every 5 minutes, then every 3 minutes- then called the obgyn- went to hospital and 16 hrs later had my son.
    @nd pregnancy- I had NO back pain, just contractions- timed them- when they got 5 min apart we headed to the hospital- I wasn't dilating so they sent me home after 2 hours- got home- my water broke, right back to the hospital and my daughter was born 7 hours later : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I started contracting in my uterus but they were painless contractions until I hit about 7 cm dilated then they really hit (ooooooooooh boy), my dream of a all natural childbirth was shattered when I hit 8 cm dilated and I was fighting to hold down vomit and try to breathe through my contractions at the same time. My water also borke naturally (that was a really cool feeling), but all in all it was a great experience and trust me hun you WILL know when your in labor! I thought the same thing as you how will I know, but call it your first mommy instinct or what ever, you will know. Good Luck with everything no matter how the birth of your child goes once you hold your baby for the first time it all goes away the only thing you can focus on is the little miracle that your holding that you just brought into the world.

Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i started having contractions 2 days before my due date they started at 9 am and i didnt have her until 4/28pm so i was in labor for 26 hours,they started in my back,felt like cramps from your period but worse.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 4:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• When I first went into labor I thought I had to poop lol. Then after about 20 min I realized that it wasn't that, and about an hour later my water broke. Luckily by then I was already in the hospital.
    samantha8886

Answer by samantha8886 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2008