Should couples be banned from adopting children overseas?

I was looking up good debate topics and this popped up.

I got it from this website - http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/topic_details.php?topicID=313

Just thought I'd see what others thought.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No! Children in need are children in need - period! That's all that should matter, not what country they were born in! Just that they need parents!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think they should be banned but there are plenty of kids here in the united states that need loving homes that are being ignored.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No. Why should they? Why is everyone so interested in telling others how to live their lives?
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 2:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• "but there are plenty of kids here in the united states that need loving homes that are being ignored. "

For the most part, they aren't being ignored by the families that end up doing an international adoption. Most of those families (at least almost EVERY one I know, and I know many) have either heavily researched foster care adoptions, and decided after careful thought that it isn't the right way for them to build their families, OR have already experienced at least one failed domestic adoption (either private, foster care or both)..
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 2:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No. Children who need parents are children who need parents...borders shouldn't apply.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I never said anything about the children in the US not being good enough. I never said anything about children in another country being better. Nice try, though.

It just wasn't the right path for us and our family for a variety of reasons.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yes! I tink that there are more than enough american children who need homes, and families! We need t focus on thi country before going out heling another...JMHO

This is an example of someone that is VERY uneducated about adoption in general... statements such as these are asinine...

IF you knew anything at all about adoption, you would know that there are 4 main processes- Foster-adopt from the system, domestic infant in which an expectant mother that is contemplating relinquishing chooses the potential a-parents, embryo, and IA.
    Did you know that in 2008 there were over 55,000 children adopted from foster care alone in the US? The number for IA is 17,000...correct me if I'm wrong but 55K is MUCH bigger than 17K.
    Adoption is NOT about patriotism and never should be..if anyone goes into adoption with that as their goal- they should never be an adoptive parent. Period.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Adoption is not for the faint of heart. Every family MUST research and find what process is best for them. We lost a biological child at birth, we did not feel like it would be right for us to enter the foster system and grow bonded to a child and possibly relinquish that child back to their rightful parents...we also didn't feel like we could knowingly take a child from a woman that most likely could parent and regret her decision later. We adopted from China. Our daughter was abandoned at an early age, and lived in an orphanage until we met her at 17 months. In China she would have had no opportunities at all as she was an orphan with no birth certificate... here, she has all that is available to her and is loved beyond measure. She is our daughter...period.
    IA is a long, exhausting journey and people don't go into it lightly...or any process for that matter.
    Research before making moronic statements next time...sigh.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yeah, some people make a big deal of it. I don't think it matters. Children who need homes, need homes. Yes, there are plenty children here that need homes, but our government makes adopting children so complicated. I believe people should be looked into before adoption, but if there were not so much red tape, then more children would be adopted and sooner rather than later.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Of couse not! If the US wants people to adopt within the country then the government needs to look into how they handle adoptions. It is not that people prefer adopting foreign children, it's that they prefer foreign adoption policies. A child in need is a child in need.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010