separation anxiety in a 21 month old.

my 21 MO ds is going through severe separation anxiety. everyone but us and the baby sitter freak him out. his uncles, grandpa, and some of his favorite people. what am i going to do? any advice. he just threw a fit laying down for his nap because mommy was going to be in the other room! finally settled down, but do you disagree that i still make him go with these other people?

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 1:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son goes through this also.- we don't leave him often at all which I am told is playing a part, however when I do leave, I have to act "as a matter of fact" like and not over hug or let him see that it breaks my heart leaving him too - as long as once you do leave, he calms and is ok, you should be fine and it will pass.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son is 22 months and cries like that sometimes when I leave him. Yes I still do it because I feel like if I didn't and just gave in....its one more thing that he will have over me. I need "me" time and I can't always get that if he is with me. It's like someone said, if you don't seperate yourself and you get stressed you can't be the best mommy he needs you to be. Has it been going on for a while, because maybe he just hasn't grasped the concept that "mommy will be back to get me"??
    USAF_Beasley07

Answer by USAF_Beasley07 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• just recently. he was going through a phase about 3 weeks ago when whoever came over had to take him. he wanted away from us. now all he wants is us.
    Hollea

Comment by Hollea (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• He just has to learn to deal with it. Just tell him you love him and you will come back soon. My son is 21 months old and he doesn't really go to anyone because I stay at home and we dont' have any family here. When I drop him at his home daycare place, he usually cries for like a second and then gets so busy playing with the other kids he's fine after a minute. Yesterday I left to go get a pizza and left my son with his daddy, and even though it's his daddy, he still cried real bad when i left and I felt bad. But you have to cut the apron strings some time.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my son is 22 months and i just went back to school. i had been staying home with him all the time since he was born. i leave in the morning and he stays with his father, but he still freaks out everytime i walk out. my husband said it only last a few minutes after i leave, but its awful to hear him screaming out the window for me. its been like this for 2 months now, 3 times a week, each time he does it. i just know to make it short and sweet. i love you hug and ill be back and leave. its hard though. its gonna be worse, next semester i have to take classes while my husband works, so he will be in day care for the first time ever. i get nervous just thinking about it, hes gonna scream forever!
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010