What would you do if your teenage daughter or so choose not to go to college or trades school after high school?

I was just woundering! What would you do if your teenage son or daughter decided not to go to college or trades school or aprentinceship school after they graduate! And told this to you while they are in the 11th grade!

babyboomer1977

Asked by babyboomer1977 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Let them decide what is best for them. I didn't go to college after high school and I'm doing great; if I decide I want to further my education, I'll take classes when I'm ready. I didn't want to go to college because I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life and I didn't want to waste time and money. I would have gone to dog training/grooming school but my parents said that it was too much of a liability and wouldn't pay for it so I was going to pay for it myself but I lost track of myself for a while. Now I've been working in the field I love, being trained on the job, making decent money!
    College isn't for everyone!
    Anonymous

• I would help them find a job, and make sure they understood that they would be paying their own way since they were working.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i didn't and i wish i would have, it's a lot harder now that i have a family of my own. though that gives you a lot of motivation. sometimes people don't know what they want at that age, i had a lot of fun when i got out of school working and traveling. i guess it's just up to those people. i would want my son to go to college or trade school though while he can living under my roof.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i would say, "congratulations, you're doing what YOU want to do." i'm really glad my parents didn't push me into going to school.

i would probably talk to them about what they plan on doing, though.... and help them figure out goals that they want/need to achieve to get to where they want.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 2:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My daughter is in the 11th grade, thankfully she wants to go to college, however, if she didn't, I would say get a job. She would have to keep the job. She would pay rent. After about six months in my house she would be looking for her own place because she would have been saving for it. I don't know if your daughter has her own car or not. If she does not then that would have been the first thing she would have been saving for then a place to live. She might have to have a carpool and roomates to help pay expenses. If something happened and her car was broke down, we could not help her because we are in a bad place ourselves. However, if you want to help her I would tell her that this is to be considered a loan. She has to learn to stand on her on two feet and learn responsibility. Maybe after some of this, she will want to go to school. Here's hoping everything works out for you.
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010