How do you NOT judge?

Can any of you say you have NEVER judged someone? How do you not judge? I hear ppl complaining so much about how they are being judged, so how do you avoid judging someone?

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 2:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• It's human instinct to want to automatically judge. When you catch yourself trying to judge someone, try putting yourself in their situation and having empathy for them rather than judging. :) I try to be more open minded and not to judge as much as possible.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Everyone passes a judgement when they give advice. It doesn't make it bad. They are just going off the information given.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'm awful.. I'm quite the judge..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is a difference between judging and being judgmental. We all judge, at least internally. We all disagree with the actions or beliefs of others, and think "hmm, glad that's not me" or something similar... That's judging, it's just a part of being an individual. But it's when we allow that judging to alter how we treat others, it becomes an issue... That, I don't generally allow myself to do. I don't have to like your life or how you live it, but I'm not usually going to allow that to affect how I treat you unless it's something that's going to harm me or my family...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If I judge someone I keep it to myself. I've been surprised to find good friends in those who I've at first judged as bad people. Everyone judges others some try VERY hard to not let it effect how they treat the person.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• ditto Kword :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Of course I judge. It's human nature. I think I handle it well though because when I start making assumptions about people I don't know I always remind myself that I DON'T know them and my judgements are not necessarily valid. And I don't hold my assumptions against anyone while getting to know them. But first impressions are everything and the mind is going to automatically form an opinion of someone/something based off the obvious. It's what you do with the judgments you make that define you as a person.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I keep an open mind and keep perspective in everything that happens throughout the day/week. I do not like being judged and gossiped about so I don't do it myself.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is instinctual to want to judge others, however this doesn't mean it can't be overcome. The main reason we judge others is because we are trying to empower ourselves. We compare ourselves to others in an effort to make ourselves feel better about what we are lacking. Analyze yourself next time you catch yourself judging someone and you will see that this is true... (even something small, like you notice someone wearing shoes you think are ugly) you will notice that you feel a tinge of pride in yourself when you condemn or criticize someone, even silently to yourself. Every judgement is an effort by your mind to boost your own ego. This is not good or bad. It's just something people do because they don't always recognize thier own inherent value.
    How to avoid this?....realize your own value. Then, you will begin to just let people be who they are. There will be no need to label others.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i can't say that i've never jugde anyone before... but i've stopped that a while ago.... you have to stop and think... am i even in the right place to jugde someone... would i like to be jugded.... and then bam no you don't.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010