What The Big Deal With Religion?

If you were dying, hunger or needed some other kind of help wouldnt you get it from an christian, atheist, muslim, pagan, witch so why cant we talk and get along when we're not in need per say???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 2:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Religion is a very passionate subject. People believe what they will - some respect others beliefs, others believe that if you don't believe in *insert deity/teachings here* you will suffer eternal damnation. Millions of people have died throughout history for these beliefs, empires have fallen, and individual rights have been trampled.

Some people will always fight to make others believe what they believe. I'd love to see the world's religions "agree to disagree," but I don't think that will ever happen. Most religions have gone to far defending their beliefs, their pride won't allow them to back down or peacefully disagree.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I usually get along with people of different religions.... I'm Atheist, usually its everyone else that don't like me, lol.
    Chaotic_Rayne

Answer by Chaotic_Rayne at 6:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I actually think this section is quite friendly.... More people seem interested in learning about different beliefs and exchanging opinions than in bashing and attacking. But maybe I'm being naive?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would rather get help from my own, and rather give help to my own over others... But no, in general I don't care. I mean, if someone's in need, it doesn't matter who they pray to or don't pray to... All that matters is that they need my help, or can give help. When it comes down to it, I'm not going to interview someone about religion before I give them a sandwich, on the other hand, if I were to become involved with a charity, I would prefer that it goes either to those who are involved in something I feel strongly about - whether that be religious or not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I believe we can all get along. I'm Muslim but my family is Christian some are Catholic but most are Lutheran. I have friends who are Wiccan, Buddhist, and Hindu. I talk with them and get along with everyone. I try not to bring religion up to them at all but if it comes up and they ask me I certainly tell them how something is in my religion. I don't take religious advice from non-Muslims but that doesn't mean they are not my friends. If I needed help I would take it from whoever I can get it from and when I offer help it's not only to Muslims. I help anyone in need since it is required of a Muslim. I won't openly help people commit a sin but that's really about my only limit. I've helped make quilts and put together book bags for christian charities, participated in habitat for humanity, donated to help Palestinians get medicine, food and water in Gaza or for disaster relief. Help is help no matter the source.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think we generally do rather well with getting along here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• People think they NEED to push their beliefs onto others. Kinda like "if you don't think what I think, you're wrong". There's a difference in telling somebody your beliefs, or pushing them on people. Same goes w/ politics.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Really, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I'm not religious in the least bit but if someone ever needed help, I could care less what they chose to believe because in the end they're human. I would hope that people would feel the same way about me. I think religion is an issue only because people make it one.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Some religious groups teach or encourage spreading the news; conversionism. The Mormon Church sends their young adults on missions, to encourage this practice. If the head of your church is encouraging outreach, you can see how the faithful and impressionable could attempt to comply-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• To me, "my own" means the entire human race.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010