How can I keep my cat from clawing the rug????

She won't let me clip her nails-I am at a loss

Asked by NicolesMommy at 2:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Scratching post, but if they are already scratching the rug put the scratching post over that area as a cat has oils that are secreted from their paws and they are attracted back to the same spot. Keeping their nails trimmed will also help.

Answer by dgall3 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Get a scratching post and spray it with catnip. Give them treats for using it and use a spray bottle when they scratch at the floor.

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Get her something she can claw on...they have those carpeted cat towers in pet stores. When you see her start to claw on the rug, pick her up and take her to her scratcher or tower. Reinforce her behavior when she claws on the preferred item, with a treat or something.

Answer by moniquinha at 2:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Soft paws work great. Also, have a couple different types of scratching posts available. Cats need to scratch, it's instinct, so you need to have things available for them to scratch. De clawing is inhumane and not necessary.

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 3:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Unfortunately, I've only seen two solutions to this that work.

1. Get rid of the cat.
    2. Get rid of the rug.

Good luck finding the third solution.

Answer by tyheamma at 3:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Get several scratching posts and spray them with catnip. You can try soft paws to put over the nails or take the cat to the vet and let them trim the nails

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• get her de-clawed?

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Get her declawed?

I haven't had any problems with my cat clawing our rugs or furniture. We bought him a scratching post and he uses that a lot.

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• scratching posts..or get her declawed

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• FYI you can only put Softpaws on after you have clipped the cat's claws, so this wouldn't help the OP in this situation. Great product though!

Answer by getrealmama at 11:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010