Are On-Line schools really public schools in disguise?

I am hearing a lot about on-line schools making parents feel out a medical form listing shots. Even though I "waived" that section when my kids did on-line I still thought it peculiar. The response I got was it's mandated by the state and protects the child if they go on field trips together. Even though I declined the field trips, I still had to sign.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 2:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Most on-line schools don't hide the fact that they are public schools. In fact the majority of the ones I have read up on openly state they are a part of the public school system, just done from home or online...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I know that the 3 online schools (that I know about) here are public schools.

They are online but they are public schools. Students are registered as Public School students, they have to submit the same forms, they have assigned teachers, assigned classes, they have textbooks sent to the home, grades are tracked daily, and all students must take the states (OAKS here in Oregon) compentency test every years.

So yes (in regards to the 2 online schools I know of here in Oregon) , either a shot record has to be on record with the school.. Or an exemption filed with the school. Since they are techincally "public schools" all public school policies have to be followed. .
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• All the online schools I've seen are part of a public school system (though a couple will let you buy their stuff and use it for homeschooling). I've never seen any hide that fact and it's well known that they have to follow public school guidelines.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Most On-line schools are public schools and say so up front. How do you think they get funding?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010