Tummy time for 1 month old?

Looking for some ideas for tummy time. My son only lasts about 2 minutes in tummy time before he starts to cry. my mom suggested putting toys around him for him to look at, but is he old enough to be able to focus on them? I have found that he will do it longer if I lay on my back with him on my chest, but I am not always able to do that as I have to have someone around to help me up.

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter never did tummy time. She hated being on her tummy, so we never pushed it. We tried the toys designed for her to lay on her tummy and even mirrors and none worked. She didn't start laying on her tummy until she was over a year old. Sorry I don't have any advice, so I'll give you a bump.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• One month old is to young to be on their tummy. They should not do tummy time tell they can move their head better. (It is all about suffocation)

Answer by louise2 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Carrry him in a sling or wrap (you can use a sheet like a ring sling so you don't need to buy one) and that will build his neck and core strength. Avoid baby containers (swings/seats -- the do not allow free movement or exercise). Nature designed babies to be carried so that is the best way to exercise and entertain.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Continue what ur doing 2min will soon b 3 then 4 and so on. Make it a routine. Don't ever skip tummy time!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Two minutes is PLENTY at that age. If you've gotten yours to do that five times, then your baby has had more tummy time on the floorthan mine did in ALL of year one! He DESPISED tummy time and we gave up on it, at least on the floor. His tummy time was right on top of ME because that was our nursing position; me leaning back and him over me to compensate for my letdown.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree that two minutes at a time is plenty and you can do it a couple of times during the day. The time baby will tolerate it will lengthen over time, and eventually the toys and such may become an interest as well. Don't worry about how long it lasts, just try for a bit of tummy time every day.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Louise2: the ped told me to start at 2 weeks. I do not leave him alone when he is on his tummy.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Tummy time was "invented" after babies started having development problems because mothers were leaving infants lay on their backs in beds or sit in "containers" like car seats, bouncers, swings, ect. almost all the time. They named the problems container baby syndrome. So tummy time was invented in hopes of unding the harm. If you don't use seats and hold your baby and use slings and carriers you don't need to do tummy time.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• 2 min is plenty. HE will eventually like it. My son had to adjust.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• He loves it when he is laying on my chest, just not when he is on his own. Thanks everyone for your input
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010