Moms in school, how do your own parents feel about you getting a higher eduaction?

My parents are not supportive AT ALL. They never were.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not in school right now, but I am starting back in January. My parents are so supportive and so happy that I am furthering my education. When I was 18 I started college, but dropped out. My dad was so disappointed, but I just wasn't ready. Now three years later I'm ready to go for it and my parents couldn't be more proud. But I will be going to an online college because it's the best option for my life right now. Neither of my parents went to college and my mom didn't even graduate high school, so they love the idea that I'm bettering myself.

I am so sorry to hear that your parents aren't being supportive. Do they have reasons for not supporting you, if I may ask?
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Both of my parents want me to be a stay at home mom only. Besides my dad is one of those people that believes in experience over education, and I think my mom does not want me to out live her.

When I was in high school, I wanted to go away to college. My mom told me that I'd probably get raped and killed if I left home.... I didn't go.

It's great to hear that your going back to school and that your parents are supportive of you!
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think mine feel indifferently, it was expected.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Aw, that's terrible that your mom told you that! I am a stay-at-home mom and I would be going to college for a classroom setting, but I don't have any friends or family to babysit my daughter while I go and we can't afford daycare at the moment. So online school works best for me right now.

Are you going to school right now or planning on going to school? It's never too late. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My mother is super jealous. She never helped my pay for school, I did it on my own. Now that I have my degree you think she'd be proud of me. Nope, she makes jealous little comments. Sad, considering she has lots of money and if she wanted to get her degree she could afford to go to the best schools. I really feel for you!!
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thanks:) Luckily DH is very supportive... and I have the same issue with babysitters! I am currently going to school part time. I take online and in class classes
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'm not in school now, but I was always expected to go to college. I went to college straight out of high school and got my undergraduate degree within 3 1/2 years. My parents had made me save money for college, so I didn't have any student loans. I decided to get my masters degree a few years ago, and my parents were very helpful. My husband ended up having to travel for work while I was in school (night classes), so my parents, who live 100 miles away, would come spend the night with my kids on school nights. My mom told me she was very proud of me for finishing my masters while working; she never went to college.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My parents were proud but not suportive. Thats the role they take in everything though. You always have to ask your siblings or parents friends in my family to know if they approve of things heh its kinda silly.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 1:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My parents forced me to go to college straigt from high school. There was no choice in the matter. That's what was expected of me.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010