How can I get my toddler to express himself rather than letting all his stress out at night?

He's such an easy going kid. Hardly ever complains. But when something changes he starts sleeping really bad at night. We are about to move and I want him to be able to feel like he can be upset. He doesn't talk much anyways. He's 2 1/2.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 2:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry to say they have yet to figure out the magic potion that makes males express themselves. If they had I am sure there would be a lot less frustrated wives and worried mothers.
    That said, just do lots of reassurring, cheering, and ask him "how you feeling." You can also try talking to him when he is distracted, such as when he playing with blocks or coloring. Boys talk more when its casual.
    I know he is 2 1/2 but mine is 2 and I get way more info about his day when ask over a coloring book. GL
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• He is still too young to even know what is bothering him. Children like a routine. It is less stressful for them to know what comes next. When the routine changes they feel out of sorts. That's just the way it is. I would show him pictures of your new place and get him excited about the move. Hype it like it's the greatest thing ever. So he knows what to expect. Talk about the pretty tress there and where he can play and the birds & squirrels or other things he may like there. That will lessen his anxiety. It's normal behavior for his age.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010