I have an 11 month old who has never spent the night in her crib- I am guessing she should go to a toddler bed when she's done in our bed, but how soon is too soon?

It'd be nice to have my bed back.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would skip the toddler bed and just go for a twin bed. Its never too soon to have a kid free bed lol.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If you are ready to trasnition her now then go to a crib, if you are going to wait a few more months, like 6 months or more, then go to a toddler bed then.

I really think that babies should stay in the crib until they try to climb out. I think cribs are safer because they keep the kids contained so they don't get into mischief if they wake before the parents do.

My kids all co-slept until around a year, then transitioned into the crib and at about two they went to the toddler bed.

Good luck.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think there is a too soon here. its whenever you feel comfortable. If you have a safe and secure room in which to palce a toddler bed ...go ahead. Just remember toddler beds mean your child can get out of bed on their own easily. Secure any stairs between her room and your own.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree with ria about skipping the toddler bed unless space is really an issue. It just makes for one more sleeping transition down the road. Get a bedtime routine in place so that she will have the comforting, familiar routine in place to ease her transition out of your bed. Our baby is 11 months and we are starting him napping in his own bed and soon will start putting him down in his bed at night as well.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We didn't put my daughter in a toddler bed until she was 15-16 months old. We didn't decide to transition her until she started crawling out of her crib and our bed. If you're not ready to put her in a toddler bed, try her in a crib for a couple of months and see how she does.

I agree with ria7, its never too early to have a kid-free bed! lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I also can't figure out how to lower my crib.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Do you have the manufacturer instructions on how to lower the crib?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Good luck on getting your bed back. Kids don't like sleeping alone.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Start with nap time. That is what I did.

Gail, My son likes sleeping alone. He is like me, we like having our own space. (bed)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Do it now! The longer you wait, they harder it will be. Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010