Siblings

If you have siblings, what is your relationship like? What about your SO and his(her!) relationship with siblings? What was it like as children compared to your sibling relationship as adults? How are your childrens' relationships with each other? What are the age differences?

My answers to follow....too much to fit in this space here, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I have 3 siblings..
    Brother--He's 5 years younger than me.. we have a great relationship & we fight less now that we are adults
    Sister--She's 11 years younger than me.. she looks up to me.
    Brother--He's 18 years younger than me.. I'm not that close to him.

My boyfriend has 4 siblings..
    Sister--I think she is 6 years older than him.. they get along great
    Sister--She is 1 year older than him.. they get along most of the time
    Sister--She is 11 years younger than him.. she looks up to him
    Sister-- She is 11 years younger than him.. she looks up to him
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my relationship with my sister has always been a little rough, as kids she'd pick on me or my brother so he and i would gang up on her. as adults, i never want to see or hear from her again, she left her son to move out of state with some guy she met online.
    my brother was my best friend growing up, we always did stuff together until he got married to the devil she dosen't like me and vice versa and she threatens him with the kids if he spends too much time with me or our family so our relationship sucks now b/c of his wife

my dh was really close with his sister growing up and they still are
    my kids are only 4 and 1 so it's hard to tell how they will be but my dd loves her baby brother and he adores her..i'm so glad i had a boy and a girl b/c sisters are evil :P
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have 3 brothers

Brother 8 years older than me, we were close when I was younger, but I am not impressed with his girlfriend and she doesn't really like him to come around the family, so we don't talk that much, if at all.
    Brother 4 years older than me, we were never close, I am glad to see him when I do and I know he is glad to see me, but not much to talk about.
    Brother 3.5 years younger, we are close enough I think, we talk at least once a week. I always worry that he is doing alright.

There is a rift that is always there because 1. I live 100 miles away and 2. I don't speak to my father and they all do, and they do not agree at all w/my decision.

DH has siblings that I have never met that are 10-15 years older than him, so I would say not close at all. The closest sister he has is 8 years older and they don't speak at all, no issues, just not very close.

My children know they have cousins and see them on holiday's.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have siblings but we weren't raised together. At this point, I don't have a relationship with any of them. My Dh and his brothers are all still close, not quite as close as they were growing up but alot of that has to do with us living in different states.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have 3 sisters
    1 is 2 yrs younger than me and we fought a lot growing up like fist fights broken bones fighting cuz she's evil and liked to attack me we still barely talk
    2 is 8 yrs younger and she looks to me as her mom I'm her go to for advice on everything
    3 is 10 yrs younger and we only lived together until she was 2 I still talk to her on occassion but she's a tempermental 18 yr old more interested in her bf than anyone else in the world lol
    rlambert

Answer by rlambert at 6:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I AM THE ONLY CHILD
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 7:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have 2 older brothers, I think my relationship with them is indifferent. I know we weren't close and being the youngest and a girl, I got picked on a lot (they are 7 & 10 years older than me). I think our personalities were too different, even between my brothers who are only 3 years apart. I'm not sure they actually ever played together when they were little. Something I need to ask my mom about. Anyway, we don't have much of a relationship either as adults. Part of it of course is the distance and again the whole personality thing.

DH also has 2 older brothers and the age difference is similar. I think he was probably closer to his brothers when they were kids, maybe more so to his middle brother. I think they mostly have a good relationship as adults, maybe not best friend kind of thing, but they talk, hang out when there is a family get together, that sort of thing.

We only have 1 child, so can't answer last part.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010