Boiling chicken

I've never done it...lol So how do you boil skinless,boneless chicken. I am making Chicken and rice for the 1st time.. HELP!

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 3:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've only ever boiled chicken on the bone to peel apart for chicken salads or whatever. Usually when I do chicken and rice I either bake it or grill it. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Just throw it in a pan of water.. boil it until its white..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I boil chicken for salads and for soup..but I always use with bone. Just adjust your time. If you are using breast it would take less than 20 minutes probably. I uses legs and thigh and I boil for 35-40 minutes, the remove meat from the bone. When I make chicken and rice I use a pan and bake it. again, remove skin, leave bone in. It depends on how many you're feeding. If 4-6 people I use a deep chicken fryer pour in 2 cups rice, 4 cups water one can cream of mushroom, on can cream of celery...whisk that together until relatively smooth. Submersed chicken pieces in a circle, cover bake on 350 for an hour to and hour and fifteen mins.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I usually start boiling the water then add frozen chicken in when its at a boil. It usualy takes about 30 min. If your not sure if it is done then take it out and cut into it to make sure its not still pink inside. It takes less time if it is thawed but I always forget to pull it out of the freezer lol. When i make chicken and rice i usualy bake it, my husband thinks that boiled chicken dosnt have the flavor of baked because you can not season it that way. Hope this helps. And by the way leftover chicken can be shredded and used for chicken tacos or chicken qusadillas.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I strongly suggest that whenever your boiling chicken you get it with the skin on, makes for a great chicken broth you can use later on!
    Anyway, put the chicken in a pot with water AT LEAST enough to cover. Add half an onion and a couple of garlic cloves. You can add any of these things: carrots, zucchini, celery, leeks, fennel, dill, parsley and peppercorns. If it's skinless add some salt. Let it boil and leave it until it's fully cooked. You can check by sticking a pairing knife and seeing that the meat looks cooked in the middle.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Definitely agree with these mamas, just wanted to add- Reserve your boiling water and chicken carcass after its done boiling.
    You have the makings of Great chicken stock, to make a stellar soup. Keep the water at a low boil. then add a whole carrot, a celery stalk, some butter, and seasonings. Let it boil down a little while until you can taste the stock flavor, then pour it through a sieve into a bowl (the sieve will catch the bones etc.). Use the broth to make a chicken or veggie soup!
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 3:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Chicken and rice - I've never boiled the chicken. If you are using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, my fav. way of making chicken and rice is this way:
    Cube the chicken, season as you like, then saute in butter until slightly browned.
    Cook the rice in chicken broth until near done. Add your favorite cheese to the top, put the lid back on, and let the cheese melt down into the rice until done. Stir in chicken. Voila!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• hmmm, I just thought it would be better with shredded chicken instead of cubed chicken...
    1lilgirl

Comment by 1lilgirl (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If you are going to shred it, the your best bet is to "roast" it in the oven. Put some salt and pepper on it, then cook it in the oven for a bit. It shreds just as easily. The problem with boiling the chicken is that it tends to lose all the flavor. It's great if you need stock, but not so great if you want to retain the flavor in the chicken.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• So how long do I "roast " it then? At 350?ugh! lol
    1lilgirl

Comment by 1lilgirl (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010