Is grounding an acceptible punishment?

How long, from what, what age, and for what?

martinmommy26

Asked by martinmommy26 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• A couple of weeks, breaking important rules, any age before 18.

Answer by older at 3:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son is 6. He got grounded form all video games yesterday until tomorrow after school for lack of self control. Screaming at me and not listening when I instructed him to go to his room until he was 'calm and happy'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• How do we know what you have taught your child to be punishable. I hope that your communciation with her/him has more substance.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yes, starting when they understand what grounding is (after all its just a longer more focused form of time out). Punishment should fit the crime. Example fighting with your sibling, one evening of no tv. Lying about having done your homework one week no TV. Sneaking out of the house ,, no nothing for a week.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my kids are 7 and 9 they get grounded from a few days to a week or two from video games or tv
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When I went into high school, my mom started grounding me or "house arrest" as I called it. She would drive me to school (it was across the street), pick me up (I had to be in the office right after class or she came looking for me), no phone, no computer, no goin out of the house. It sucked, and I rarely broke the rules because I feared this so much!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think grounding is an acceptable punishment but I also feel the punishment needs to fit the crime so to speak. My son was grounded because he made a bad choice and betrayed my trust. It consisted of not leaving my house for a week and he cleaned every room top to bottom. He still had his phone, still had his computer time, and his friends were allowed over, they just couldn't leave the house. That punishment worked for him - he didn't talk to me for 2 days (seriously he everything but freedom to leave).
    However if my child is doing something like getting bad grades in school or not turning in homework - that's different because I need to find out the root cause first.
    If my son stole something, then they return it along with an apology and a letter of apology. Grounding isn't necessary. If they ditch school, I'll take a few days off and sit in class with them.
    I have a different punishment for different actions
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yes I feel that it is an acceptable punishment. The amount of time would vary depending on the rule broken. I would issue this punishment for things like lying (that would earn a TON of grounding time, because she would have to earn back my trust), failing to maintain the GPA that I feel she is capable of (also a lot of grounding time, as I would make sure that she was spending her time focusing on the things that are truly important such as her education), failing to complete her household duties (not so much time but an increase of chores that would slowly diminish if she proves she can handle what I had orginally gave her), stealing (hell the kid would not see the light of day for ages)
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2010