OMG why did I do that!

I have had a really stress filled day and to top it all off my son has really been clingy and whiny today! My son would not stop crying and pulling my hair and then I snapped and smacked his leg he is only 11 months old! a few mins later he was fine and was smiling and playing again but I feel so guilty and horrible what should I do to release some stress and feel better ?? I DONT BELIEVE IN SPANKING what is wrong with me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why? He was disobeying, so what was wrong with popping his leg? At 11 months he's old enough to understand "no"...all 3 of mine were. So what's the big deal? He got punished for not listening....
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't believe in spanking either.. & haven't ever done it. But sometimes I just cry and cry and cry. It'll be okay Mama.. take a breath!♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You are stressed. You need to step back before it gets worse. Do you have parent or friend you can take him to for a little while or who can come by and help you? If so then do it. I'm so sorry, I know how you feel. :0(
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with you! Put the kid in for a nap and have a cup of tea! A couple of minutes alone works wonders!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Take a deep breath. Get him down for a nap and get yourself some "Me" time. Next time you are feeling stressed like that - scream.....go into a closet put your face in the clothes and scream....it helps relieve stress - trust me!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• One stop being to so tough on yourself. No one is super mom. Kids are frustrating. Next time simply put him down some place safe and walk away for a few minutes. Regain enough composure to fake it and if you are anything like me it will work long enough to see you through this crisis.

Two for long term solution. Look for mom groups (i.e. Meetup.com) or activities outside the house. Places you can go where your son is entertained and you get a chance to talk to adults. This really helped me.

GL
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• – collapse
    I know you must be feeling bad about what you did. But, i was taken back after reading this. I can understand slapping an older child perhaps. But, an 11 month old?.......I'm sorry..But, i think your wrong for doing what you did!...Just my opinion!.....You should have grabbed his hand and gave him a firm NO...It's all about calm/aggressive reactions. Not hitting and slapping!!!!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• A light pop probably didn't hurt him that bad. What's done is done.
    You can't kick yourself for something you've already done. Since no severe damage was done to your son from your reaction, and you don't want to continue spanking, then it's just time to evaluate some different options for the next time.
    The word "no" firmly stated, along with separating your child from you in a way that works can be challenging.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 3:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• you had a mommy moment. Not everything is roses and cake.. I know thats not a real saying but I think it should be - anyway, it happens, we are human and get over whelmed. Use it as a reminder of what you dont' want to ever do again.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It happens to the best of us. Try not to beat yourself up over it...if you need to, let your son cry it out in another room while you have a hot drink and take some deep breaths. You are not horrible; there is NOTHING wrong with you. When you feel yourself getting to that point in the future, do your best to remove yourself from the situation or find a quick way to destress (scream into a pillow! That works for me! :))

And excuse me, gogogirl, but she has already made it clear that she feels bad. It was a kneejerk reaction to stress. You're telling me you've never done something that you regretted a moment later? Wow. Sorry we can't all be so perfect.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010