At what age did you start using time outs?

If you used time outs with a toddler, how did you make it work (as far as keeping them in time out)?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 3:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started when my daughter was 2. We had a little time out mat in the living room. The first few times I put her on the mat she wouldn't stay but you always have to get them back to the time-out spot so they understand you're serious about it. A few times and she got it. When I said time out she would go to her mat, sit down and cry. Two minutes later I would go to her, explain why she had to sit on the time out mat and ask her to apologize.

Then a hug, kiss and punishment is over !! :)

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i started using timeOut when my DS was 2...and i would sit him back down on the seat every time he gets up...and sit along side of him to make sure he didnt get up...and i would give him 2mins of timeout...and explain to him why he's sitting down
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 3:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I started at 18 months (this varies by child and mentality). She understood what no meant.

I picked a place on the floor where she had to stay until her time was up.

Throwing a fit only prolonged the time out. The time started when she was quiet. It lasted for 1 minute per age. As for keeping her there, the first couple times, I spent 30-40 minutes putting her back but she finally realized that mom was in charge and she better stay put. It's a fight of who's will is stronger.

Now, I only have to threaten it once and she stops.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• About 16 months. If they get off we keep putting them back on and telling them the can not get off till the timer stops. Will keep doing this till they stay there. They learn fast. We have them sit there for a min of there age.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• DD was 10 months. We lived in a house that had an open stair case so I could not put up a baby gate. I did not want her on the stairs, so we talked about it, showed her what she was not allowed to do, used redirection for 2 weeks then started the time outs if she disobeyed. I would sit her in the corner for one minute. Then she could get up, we would hug & kiss then I would tell her not to do it again. This took about 2 days, then she never went near the stairs again by herself.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2010