How do you keep your child on the potty?

My son is 3, and he seems ready to potty train, but I can't get him to sit on the potty for any amount of time -- and it never fails, he'll pee in his diaper almost immediately after we get out of the bathroom, so I know he has to go. We got him a potty chair, which he loved, but he'd rather sit on the big potty like mommy and daddy. He got lots of praise the 2-3 times he's peed in the potty. We have stickers for rewards, we've tried books, singing, brushing teeth, coloring, everything I can think of to get him to sit on the potty and wait for something to happen, but he won't stay there for more than a minute or two, if that. Is there any trick that worked for you?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 3:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can you child talk and understand and carry on a conversation. Can he reason?

My son showed all the readiness signs at 2.5...I had him sit on the potty and "try" to potty every 15 minutes. He understood that he had to try. We went straight to underwear. Once he had it down to almost routine, I went to having him try every 30 minutes. I did this over and over upping it by 15 minutes each time. By day 4, he was completely trained with no issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I never forced my kids to. I let them decide when they were ready to get on and off. Sounds like he is close.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Ditch the diapers and put him right in underpants. I didn't train my boys until they were almost 3.5. The first few days were filled with lots of accidents and then they got the idea. We started with sitting on the potty and then switched to standing (because that's what they do at school). We're still working on #2 but they'll get there.
    Let him use the big potty if he'd rather. You can get a ring that sits on the potty so that he can sit there and support himself.
    Hang in there. He'll get it!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I filled a basket with his favorite books and put it in the bathroom. He goes through a ton of them sometimes while sitting on the potty! He also has a play Barney laptop he likes to play with while going. It's so funny watching him because it's like he's in an office lol. What I have done lately and it seems to work, is we take potty breaks together. Of course I dont limit them to just when I have to go, but if we go together, he sees me going and wants to be part of it so he sits on his potty. He tells me i'm going pee pee and applauds me when I finish lol. Part of his nighttime routine is sitting on the toilet while me or SO brushes his teeth. Because it's become part of the routine he's more willing to sit.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• and ditch the diapers!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I never forced. I let him decide and he did. Potty trained in 1 week.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• try sing doll for boys.
    kate40089

Answer by kate40089 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• ditch the diapers, give him a toy or book or a snack & turn on the sink
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I give my daughter crackers while she is on the potty. She loves Ritz crackers so, the only time she gets them is when she is on the potty.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

He understands...but he has a speech delay, so talking and conversing are negotiable, depending on who you ask (I can understand him most of the time, but strangers hardly at all) and what your definition of "talking" is. He communicates just fine and has let me know several times that he needs to go, just to sit on the potty for maybe a minute and then pee in his diaper after he was "done". He seems to be ready, as far as having a "poop schedule", and letting me know when he's gone and his diaper needs to be changed, things like that. It seems to be more of a patience issue than anything. I'm trying not to force anything, especially because of the speech issue and how frustrated he can get because of that, but with just his patience getting in the way, I figure there might be some new ideas I could at least try.
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010