has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

my daughter had broke her leg falling off my bed the other night. she wasnt crying at all so i was hesitant about bringing her to the hospital that night but i decided to the next early morning cause i noticed she only cries when you change her diaper. (she is 9 1/2 months old.)
after 5 hours of waiting they say she fractured her bone and that social services have to investigate.
which is fine with me cause they said its protocol, (no biggy). i was VERY upset, i kept crying. but so far SS are saying it was an accident and it doesnt look very serious, they just have to do their job. (thank goodness, i dont know what i would do if they took my daughter away from me.
what im wondering is, how exactly does this work? i have not ever been in a situation like this before. and i dont know what to expect, what to do, and could they actually take her from me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They will visit, ask questions, maybe look at the chart, the medical history and see if there is anything suspicious. In your case, there will not be and that will be the end of it. I am a school nurse and from what I know about it, they go in and check things out and are not there to harass. In a case like yours, they will see everything is ok and your daughter is well cared for. They see plenty of real problems to be able to tell when there aren't any and they don't want to take children away unless there are obvious signs of abuse and neglect. It wouldn't be so in your case. You had her taken care of in a timely manner after an accident.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I never had this happen but my friends daughter fell down the stairs while with a babysitter. She just wasn't paying attention and the little girl broke both of her legs she was one. They came in and did thier job. Nothing came of it but that is just what they have to do the hospital had to call them it is protocal. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Babybrew

Answer by Babybrew at 8:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• unfortunately, Yes they can if they suspect abuse. I havent been in this situation but I have delt with SS. They may make a home visit too so make sure everything is clean and they will probably talk to you and your dh as well as anyone else in the house about how the baby got hurt. If you have older children they will want to talk to them and check them for any sighns of abuse. If by any means you don't feel comfortable with the way their investigation is going HIRE A LAWYER even if you keep him on the back burner to make yourself feel better! Good luck!
    Anonymous