does my son hate me?

My son is 16 years old. he doesnt speak or anything. I try to show him love but he just pushes me away. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you asked him?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sounds normal to me.

I hated my mom, for no reason, from about 14-21.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• of course and the answer is no......i am just asking because i have never experienced rasing a teen. I just want to make sure he is ok.......
    confused2634

Answer by confused2634 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• thank you upsherises
    confused2634

Answer by confused2634 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That's very disrespectful IMO.... I would start setting consequences for his bad attitude.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Oh and we have a 14 yr old, and he doesn't hate us... Quite the contrary actually...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Normal and, no, he doesn't hate you. Our youngest was really moody for a few years in his teens. We made sure we did famliy activities together whether he was interested or not to stay connected. (He never refused to go with us) It could be as simple as going to see the foliage for the day. And we went to all his sporting events. He had to pick one activity each year.....always picked ice hockey. He didn't always talk much during these times but he knew we supported him and he tells us now he is glad we always were interested. It usually passes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'd say it's about normal. sounds like me around that age. personally, if a kid about that age had a intense attachment to his/her parents I'd be more worried about his being able to break out of the mold and grow up.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think I would make an appointment with the school counselor, and see if anything is going on at school. I have 3 boys, age 18 21 and 28. Yes there have been times when they are angry at me, or don't want to talk to me, but generally speaking, they let me know why!! They don't like the rules, or they don't think they should have to do chores....they let you know.

When they don't let you know I worry that it's something more serious. Is there something going on at school, a conflict with a teacher, a bully, or maybe even drugs or something else. Try to do a little investigating, although it's good to give them space, I wouldn't just let this go....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Even though it is somewhat Normal; you need to draw a line somewhere b/c Nomatter What- You deserve to be treated with Respect- If he is refusing to even acknowledge you- then i wouldn't go out of my way for him with anything- i would just provide what he needs & let him figure out how to get all of his wants- He will come back down to earth & see just how important his Mom really is! Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010