A friend asked to borrow a piece of equipment...

for a school event that 100's of kids participate in. My kids aren't involved and I certainly won't be there. Would cost $200 to replace if item is damaged. It is an item we regularly use. I don't want to loan it. Is there is nice way to say no?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 4:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I would just be honest and tell her you aren't comfortable with lending it out. Or lie and say you need it that day! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You just say that you are not comfortable lending it out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• if you find you can't be honest i would inform her that should anything happen to said item that you would expect her to replace it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'm always surprised when people have the nerve to ask something like that. I wouldn't want to borrow something expensive even if the other person made the offer first!! I agree, I think I'd just say you're really sorry, but you use it regularly, and you don't really want to loan it out.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would just be honest with her and say no that you aren't comfy lending it out.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Tell your hubby said no.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• OP here - if the event was as her house I wouldn't have a problem. But this is a big event elsewhere. Thanks for the advice.
    Whimsee

Comment by Whimsee (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010