How can I get my 2 year old twins to stop using the pacifiers?

we've tried to get rid of it but its near impossible!! they will cry for hours til they get it back!

mommyofTWINS930

Asked by mommyofTWINS930 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried cutting the tip so they can have it, but it's bascially useless to them?
    Anonymous

• i hate to tell you but your gonna have to just take them away and deal with the crying. trust me it will only take a day or two. Its hard i know i went through it with my little one. You can try cuting the tip off but that may just make them mad to so the crying in the end is going to happen.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• explain to them. That they getting too old for pacifier and it not good for the teething ..

for me i have one year old i cut her pacifier out at nine months i only use when she is taking nap or for bedtime. and when she is awake i take it out from her mouth.

mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• WELL TO GET MA 2YR OLD TO STOP USING A PACIFIER WAS THAT MA MOM TOLD ME TO ADD JUSS A LITTLE OF SPICY SAUSE ON THE TIP AND THAN GIVE IT TO HER.. THATS WAT I DID AND NOW EVERYTIME SHE SEES HER PACIFIER SHE PICKS IT UP AND THROWS IT AWAY CUZ SHE DOES NOT WANT TO TASTE THAT IT IS SPICY
    hz_babymama

Answer by hz_babymama at 5:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• gather them up in a basket and have the kids take them to the new baby in family. When they ask for them tell them the new baby needed them and how wonderful they were to give them to her/him. THey will no doubt cry for a while but maybe you can take them to the store to buy a toy and you can even use those paci's as payment if you think they will go for that idea better. Paying with paci's for a new toy...sounds good to my little guy.
    My son didn't go for "lets give it to the new baby" but my daughter did. SO good luck
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Why take them away? My 2 year old has one and its a comfrot to him. As long as you buy them age-appropriate its not a big deal. I promise you even if they start kindergarten with it I promise they wont finish kindergarten with it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I dont agree with the last person who posted. The reason to take a pacifer away is, if you dont they child will have crooked teeth. A pacifer can mess up your teeth at a young age even if it is a comfort thing. Find something else that will comfort the child instead of the pacis. My Daughter stopped using her paci @ 6 months but my nephew threw a fit giving his up. You just have to wait it out. Yes in some instances they will cry but you have to be strong. Eventually they will forget all about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2008