Have you had a close loved one seriouslly ill?

If you have how did you cope with it?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Health

• Yes, my mom & dad both have had some major health issues, plus my son. You make the best of each day, focusing on the happy as much as you can and do what you have to do. When a loved one is very ill, each day you have with them is a gift, so best not to waste it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• One day at a time....sometimes one min at a time.... it's very hard and theres not really anything anyone can tell you to prepare you.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yes,my Grandma is in mid to late stage renal failure.
    We deal with it one day at a time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Pray! Pray for strength for you and your loved one. You will need it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I dealt with the older people I lived with. I was taken and lived with them for their needs. She was a RN at a hospital and wanted a Baby Girl. So I didn't get to live or know my Bio mom. The RN was a diabetic and heavy. She had me to do her errands and take care of her! She had strokes and heart disease. Seeing her ill was Hard! I couldn't ever have friends over, do things, have fun or be a Kid. No one knew these weren't my parents. Its the Lie I lived! When I found the RN Dead I was 13. Taking care of her 'Abusing DH was Worse. High Bp, cholesterol, Diabetes, gout, Alcoholism, dementia & the meanest man that Ever Lived! I missed a Great Deal of school! He was illiterate too! I had to do all of the household Chores & drove at age:13. Etc.. I did find my bio mom when I was 19 & pregnant & she was dying from Breast Cancer. I only saw her that one time in the hospital. She died. Now I have Breast Cancer! Cope by Praying. G' Luck
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 5:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree, one day at the time!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son had cancer and I might have breast cancer it goes one day at a time!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Both of my parents were ill when I was between 11 and 14. My father had a meningioma that almost killed him and my mother ended up having a massive stroke almost as soon as he healed enough to go back to work. Then she was diagnosed with colon cancer and was dead within 6 weeks of her diagnosis. How we coped? It was like a shut off mechanism and that was the worst thing because it all started to come back to me about 10 years ago and it hit me like a sledgehammer.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There ar einstitutions called Hospice Care. They will provide you with emotional, psychological and mental support. Not only for you for your loved one and entire family. They take care of the entire family in regards to coping and they can make sure your loved one is taken care of. Look for your loval hospice facility and get referrals if possible.

Ahealthyskin

Answer by Ahealthyskin at 8:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my mother is a breastcancer SURVIVOR !!! but when she finally told her kids it was a huge shock since she is so far the only 1 in her family that has gotten it .
    Us kids were just very supportive of her and talking to her every day and uplifting her spirits and also alot of prayer went into it as well.
    tulip70

Answer by tulip70 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2010