canning

I would like to learn how to can,I need to start a food storage,this seems like a good start. Sooo how do i go about this,and what are the costs.

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 3:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• My family has been canning for years. My grandmother was a farm wife with 5 kids, so she had to do it. You will need a canning book for recipes to get started. If you use recipes that are not intended for canning, things won't set right or will not preserve properly. You will also need a pressure canner or a large pan in order to do your sealing baths. A canning cookbook could give you more of an idea. Jars you can reuse, but ensure you use jars rated for canning and food storage. Lids, you cannot reuse. All of those things can be bought at your local walmart, target, kmart, whatever. Many traditional grocery stores will carry jars and lids and pickling salts and vinegar as well. I haven't personally canned in years, so I am not sure what the costs are anymore. My mother does so much, I just take her extras.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• see it depends on what u want to can.. we did tomatos this year and it didnt cost really any thing maybe $10 for the lids... u need to use canning salt... it preserves better... we freeze alot of foods too so it depends on what u want to can... a new pack of jars is about $20 pints or quarts... maybe cheaper.. and if u have a garden that cuts costs of course... we didnt use our pressure cooker this year.... we use it mainly for any thing with meat in it... also it is eaiser to can useing a gas stove rather than an electric... its eaiser to control the heat... i think next year we are going to set up a gas stove in the garage... for canning... with a sink and ect... that will be eaiser then in our kitchen.... sorry this is long.. but u can e-mail me if u want if u have any ?'s
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Be careful. A friend of the family was canning peppers with oil. He would eat some every single day. He started getting sick. The he got a stroke with a paralysis. Come to find out it was a severe case of botulism. Be very careful with the canning techniques.
    Anonymous

• Thank the Highest cost is Your Canner,,,Be it Pressure or a Bath Canner( LOL..Big Ole Blue Pan )
    Starting Out.....You need Knowledge---Books , Recipe's , Internet , Older Citizen's....And Like Mention'd above,,,,Depends on what your Canning....
    Brightest of Blessing's Hon
    SuzieQ45

Answer by SuzieQ45 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2008