Do you think that people dont like Obama because of his race.

I just got in a very heated discussion with my mom because she told me that she believes that 9 out of 10 people that dont like Obama dont like him because of his race. She retracted that and changed it to 8 out of 10, but I was appaled, I can not stand Obama, but race has nothing to do with it for me. So it got me thinking how many other people out there feel this way? And if you dont like Obama, what are your reasons?

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 5:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont like him because he's an idiot. Has nothing to do with what color his skin is. I do, however, think that a lot of people like or dislike him because of his race. I'm convinced that a TON of people voted him into office base solely on his race, not on what he was going to do to this country.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 5:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• – collapse
    Honestly, yeah. I think that's a large part of the reason so many people dislike him. I have yet to find any other reason... I am honestly a big Obama fan, I think he's doing an awesome (although not perfect) job in office. But yeah, I think his race (and the rumors about his heritage) greatly affect how people feel about him.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Race has nothing to do with it. I didn't vote for him and am not a fan at all, but I am hoping he does well. Race is not even close to why I don't care for him.
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't even see his race, so the thought of that boggles my mind. But I know for a fact that some people (my relatives included) do have a problem with his race. I wouldn't go as far as to say 8 out of 10, but it's definitely (and unfortunately) a factor for some.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't like him and his nothing to do with his race. I have no problem with biracial people.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't like his political stances nor do I like his arrogant attitude. Neither of those has anything to do with the amount of melanin in his skin. Your mother is grasping at straws. She's throwing the race card at you to put you on the defensive. If you're defending yourself as 'not a racist', then you're not discussing the real issues with her, and that's fine with her because she probably can't defend those anyway.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't care if he was purple with pink polka dots, or any color or race there is....I would still not like his policies or arrogance or anything thing he's tried and will continue to try to "fundamentally change" the USA.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I believe people feel strongly negative about Obama because of his policies and the way handles himself. I think his fiscal policies have divided this country like we've never witnessed before and he seems to have distain for any Amercian who disagrees with him.
    If this were a racial issue, ask your Mom how it is that he got elected just short 2 years ago. Are his approval ratings slipping because hundreds of thousands of Americans finally woke up to their true racist feelings or is that they fear what this man and pelosi and reid are doing to the working, middle class of this country.
    runningoutof...

Answer by runningoutof... at 5:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would say more like 2 out of 10 take issue with his race and/or heritage. I don't buy that it's anywhere near the majority but I do know a couple of relatives that ARE racist. It took forever to get them to stop sending me "Obama is a Kenyan, Muslim Antichrist" emails.

Personally, I think it's a cheap BS debate tactic in an attempt to hurt the oppositions credibility. Just like saying those who disagreed with Bush were traitors or those who don't like Palin are jealous. If you destroy your opponenets credibility with cries of racism, traitor or whatever then everything else they say comes into question.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Im glad that most people agree with me, It kind of just shocked me to hear this from my mom, I know some people feel this way that people only dont like him because of his race (and of course I do realize that it is an issue for some, but I put that in the way minority) I do feel that there are a lot of people that voted for him because of his race, but I also think that that is the minority. I mean republicans dont like him because his agendas are so different then what theirs are, and people that are for small government dont like him because he is a big government president. I really think the majority of people would dislike him no matter what color he is. I just cant believe that there are so many people that think that the majority dont like him because he is black.
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010