How old should she be...?

My daughter just turned 8 last weekend. She has recently started asking me when I will teach her to shave her legs. She blonde but the hair on her legs is pretty dark, and it's starting to get thick. Kids at school have make remarks to her about it. Not really teasing her, just more observing, but I can tell it's bothering her. I've explained that it's a normal thing, and some people just have more than others and that kind of stuff. I've also told her that it's wrong to make someone feel bad because they look different than us. And I've told here that I'd like her to be a little older before she starts worrying about that stuff.
Any thoughts? Is she too young? I don't remember how old I was... All suggestions and opinions welcome, but PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL TO ME AND TO ALL OTHERS!!!!

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That was the exact age that I asked my mom, and the exact age that she showed me how to shave my legs. She made a big deal about the whole coming of age thing for me. Mommy-daughter dinner, etc. I thought she showed me because I was officially a woman (wrong)! 19 years later she tells me that she taught me only because I'd asked. She said, "If your daughter asked about shaving her legs because she and her friends were talking about it? Wouldn't you like to be the one to show her how to do it properly, rather than waiting to see what traumatic situation she and her friends got into with razors"?
    jesgirl83

Answer by jesgirl83 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• At this age it may be easier to get her a really nice electric shaver. I have one that I use for touch ups that you can use wet or dry.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No she is not too young, heck even men do this now!!!! if it bothers her and it might turn into a teasing game with peers, let her do it.

Answer by older at 5:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think she's too young. She's just a little girl, no need to shave her legs at that age. I'd wait at least until she hits double-digits.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I didn't start shaving til I was 11 but if kids are noticing, and its bothering her, I'd let her shave.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was 10 almost 11. My mom shaved my legs for me the first couple of times but no i dont think shes too young.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was right around that age when I started.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was 12 or 13 before my mom let me shave my legs. Honestly though if it is becoming an issue and kids are giving her a hard time, let her do it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I think we'll have a mommy/daughter day and we'll go pick out an electric razor. I'm not sure I'm ready to teach her how to use a regular razor! lol I just can't believe I'm already having to deal with this stuff. We started buying her deodorant a couple years ago. :( I thought I had a couple more years! lol Oh well, if it keep her from getting teased, I'll do it whatever I have to. As of right now, they're not teasing her, just noticing, thankfully. So hopefully this will make her feel better. :)
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010