Firefighters watch as house burns down.

A local neighborhood is furious after firefighters watched as an Obion County, Tennessee, home burned to the ground.

The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn't do anything to stop his house from burning.

Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay.

The mayor said if homeowners don't pay, they're out of luck.

This fire went on for hours because garden hoses just wouldn't put it out. It wasn't until that fire spread to a neighbor's property, that anyone would respond.

Turns out, the neighbor had paid the fee.

"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," said Gene Cranick.

How do you feel about this?

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 5:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Firefighters-watch-as-home-burns-to-the-ground-104052668.html
    Personally Im a bit torn, I would hate to see someones house burnt down, but the other part of me looks to personal responibility they chose not to pay a whole $75 to have this protection. That was their choice, its like having something like this happen, then be upset that you are not getting it covered through fire insurance. But I do think that they should have done it anyway, made him pay the $75 and maybe an added fee or something.
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thats pretty heartless :( everything that family has...all thei memories :( Wonder if they wouldnt have done something if someONE had been in there....
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Why didn't the man pay the inital 75?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Wow that's really sad but everything comes down to money anymore
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That's very selfish of the firefighters. But I mean it's kind of like you don't pay taxes you get your house taken away. If they put out fires for everyone regardless of whether you pay the fee or not, no one would pay.
    They should've put the fire out then charged the man extra for not taking precautions and paying the $75.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Wow...that is sad. :(
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree with Evansmommy91...they should have put it out then made him pay! That is so heartless and how could someone just stand there and do that?!!! OMG I hope the city gets in trouble for this. Why should anyone have to pay that money for protection, isn't that what our tax dollars are for in the first place?!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I could go either way, it's horrible that they did nothing BUT all he had to do was pay the fee, even if he had financial issues I'm sure they would work something out. Seems like somebody trying to work the system and it backfired- too bad.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I live in Tn and I've never heard of that before that sounds crazy.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is sad that the firefighters sat back and watched this house burn, I personally could not just sat back and watch a person's home burn. I would do all I could do to put that fire out. It was 75 dollars, no big deal....should the man who owned the home have paid the 75 dollars....of course he should have, but I still think the fire department should have down everything possible. I guess it was all a matter of principle.....but still human nature would not allow most to sit back and watch the house burn

tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010