ok so my baby is fed, burped, changed, and has been played with and he is fallen asleep but as soon as i put him down he cries... do i just let him cry himself to sleep?

he is 2 months old and every time i set him down he cries! is it ok just to let him cry and cry himself to sleep? how long should i let him cry? is there any way to get him to stop crying other then holding him 24/7 or am i gonna just have to let him cry and break him of the me holding him all the time habbit?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• He is way to young to let him cry himself to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the only way they have to let you know something is not right be it he wants the warmth of your body or to hear your heart beat, he is new at this out of your body thing, comfort him, this is what these young babies need and want. You might want to cover him tightly with a blanket like they did in the hospital, this makes them feel secure, remember he felt tight inside of you.

Answer by older at 5:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A baby swing rocks the baby to sleep,it is wonderful!!!! I used them with all the babies in my care!!! Do u have a babyswing??
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• ya everyone else i know tells me to just let him cry himself to sleep or even when he is just bein fussy let him cry but i wasnt sure i am new at this!!!!!!
    lilae86

Comment by lilae86 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i have a baby swing but he only wants to be in it for 5 minutes some times i dont even get to eat until his dad gets home because i cant put him down with out screaming and crying when there is nothing else i can do for him
    lilae86

Comment by lilae86 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I definitely feel for you...my son didn't have colic, but he was kind of like this as well, and I was starving b/c I could never put him down so I could eat. Sometimes I thought it helped if I put him in the baby bjorn while I ate. I also found if I walked him around in the baby bjorn, he would fall asleep, so that helped when I needed to have my hands free. Good luck, and it does get better. :)
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Get a wrap and babywear him. My lo is 10w and she didn't have any problems sleeping in her swing, but now that she is awake more she HAS to be on me, will fight her sleep and cry unless she is in her wrap on me. It get tiring sometimes, but especially when we are out I feel bad for the babies stuck in carseats when my lo is tucked nice and warm against my chest.
    MomNtheRes

Answer by MomNtheRes at 5:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wouldnt let him cry himself to sleep at this young age! If the basic needs have been met it's a security thing. He might just want to be rocked to sleep. I am so thankful i bought a glider w/ ottoman for ds's room. The rocking helped him ease into sleep and was very comfortable to me. It wont last forever! you arent spoiling him or creating any bad sleeping habits. I did let my son cry for a few minutes, just so he had some time to settle down and get used to the crib being the place to sleep. I wouldnt go passed 5 minutes though. If he continued or escalated into my arms he went! I was exhausted YES lol, but it was a wonderful bonding time for us. and like I said, thank goodness for that comfy chair!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Do not leave a 2 month old to cry themselves to sleep. Even CIO advocates do not recommend that until much later. At two months baby needs you there.

Does baby have reflux? Getting a positioner to elevate the head is a great idea if baby does suffer from reflux. Is this a new thing? Could it be an ear infection? Could baby just need someone to help him get to sleep? rock baby or co sleep are great options.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 5:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is no habit that will be formed at this age by holding him.. but its also ok to shower if you need to or walk away if frustration sets in.. my son was SO like this.. it was mental torture and a very helpless feeling.. no swing sling or bouncy helped him. We just all took turns bouncing and walking around the house
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• He's too young to be spoiled. Just try to put him in his crib b4 he falls asleep. If he wakes up, let him cry a few minutes, go in and check on him, let him hear your voice but do nor pick him up. He will soon learn to put himself to sleep, even if he awakens several times b4 falling into deep sleep. Dont get upset to hear him crying. Babies can easily sense when mommy is anxious or upset.
    Rosemirrors

Answer by Rosemirrors at 5:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010