my baby has colic whats something i can do to help him out?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My niece had colic for a whole year!!! My mom helped out so much!! My sister got to take care of herself,like,shower,shop,sleep!!!! It really helps if u got family helping u out!!! Do u have that?? message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• All you can do is comfort him by holding him and maybe rock him, and also make sure you burp him well.

Answer by older at 5:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I always held my daughter really tight around the tummy or I would put her in her tummy on my lap and I also gave her peppermint water that seemed to help
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I had this problem with my 2nd son! We had to change his formula! He was on Similac at the time we had to change it to Pro Soybe! Not sure what formulas are out there now this was 18 years ago!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son was colic 14 hours a day. I feel for you. Have you tried GRIPE water? Bland Diet if your are breast feeding? Formula Changes? Reflux testing for internal reflex without spit up? I'm sorry. nothing helped my son but you can email to me and vent anytime. I had PPD at this time and he never slept either. It has scarred me to having #2 -so he will be an only. Without my mom I would never had made it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There are a combination of things that help relieve the crying but from what I read it can take months for a baby to get rid of colic. With my daughter it was at least four months that felt like six months. Well, anyway, I tried the Mylicon drops, changed formulas like six times because I thought it would help, and spent hours with her rocking her in the indoor swing. Apparently motion helps to a degree as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• THERE IS A CURE!!! Check out "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Carp. Essentially, the five S's ...

Swaddle, Suck, Swing, Shush, and Side/stomach

Recreate the womb environment. This really works. My first baby was easy, my second was colicky except we just nipped it in the bud. If we did not do these things, the crying returned. It is REALLY EASY to do this, but get his book to describe it correctly.

Essentially, swaddle that baby, swing him/her vigorously back and forth while making a loud shushing in her ear...try to keep a binky in her mouth during this and position her sideways holding stomach to stomach....read his book though b/c it gives the minute details
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 7:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Pssst.. I had that book as a dictionary and actually took a parenting class on that method.. not a CURE but worth trying. Our little angel fought the swaddle but we had a tiny "straight jacket" which was the only way he'd fall alseep.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010