Does your toddler take chewable or liquid flouride?

My son is 21 months and recently stopped letting me give him the flouride drops. I switched him to chewable and he seems to be doing okay chewing them but I worry that if he mostly swallows them, he won't be getting the full benefit. We don't have flouride in our water so he has to take the supplements

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't give flouride to a child. It is very easy to give your child a fatal OD. Breastfeeding protects a childs teeth and kids get flouride other ways, that's why it's so easy to OD. Schools used to have programs giving kids flouride until enough kids died and they stopped doing it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My doctor is the one that prescribed it and says to give him one tablet a day. he's not gonna OD unless he got a hold of the whole bottle and i wouldn't let that happen
    Butterflysky_24

Comment by Butterflysky_24 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I've never even heard of that...
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 5:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We buy the Nursery Water, and my doctor said that was just as good as the drops.
    Arielles_Mommy

Answer by Arielles_Mommy at 6:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Don't mind Gaill Butterflysky_24 I've never seen a post where she said anything nice.

I never heard about the chews, My son use to be on the drops when he was a baby. By the time he was 9 months old I moved back into the city So I didn't have to worry about them anymore. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as he's chewing them some. If it really bothers you talk to his doctor.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My doctor prescribes it as well but I do not give it to them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You should try putting a few drops in his mouth when he is asleep. Or put some on a Q-tip and rub it on his teeth. Maybe you should add some in his drink too. Good Luck.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 10:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2010