My mom doesn't want to meet her grandchild

I gave birth to my first child 2 months ago and my mom has no plans to come meet her new grandson (she lives on FL I live in IL). Money is not an issue at all and she just traveled to MN and WI to visit other family (just for fun, not for any occassion in particular) but told me she has no plans to come see him, she's busy, she'd have to rent a car and that's expensive etc..excuse after excuse. Am I the only one who has a mom that doesn't want to jump on a plane the minute their daughter is in labor? I feel sad she doesn't want to meet him and I just don't get why he's not a priority. I grew up with amazing grandparents who we saw all the time even though we lived in a different state, I really wanted the same for my children. Any advice or thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• You have been given what you have been given. She is who she is and she won't change. All you can do is be responsible for who you are. Congratulations on your son! Celebrate him with the ppl who love you and him. Try not to spend time on ppl that don't make sense. Spend your time on those who do love you and you care for you and your son. Family are the ppl that love you and that isn't always the ppl related by blood.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Is this her first grandbaby? She may not want to acnowledge the fact that she's a grandparent just yet. I bet she will warm up to the idea, though. Give her some time.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• hugsThat is just awful!!!!!! My mom and I hadn't talked in yrs and when I had my DD she came out when she was a few months old to see her. She's been in her life ever since!

1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 5:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• maybe she is avoiding the pain she will feel when she has to leave him......that sucks though...im sorry
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that- I know it's really hard when you feel like someone you care about doesn't think your child is very important. Is there anyone else who your child could bond with in the same type of way??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Congratulations! As far as your mother getting to see the baby. There are two ways to make it happen. Send her pictures of the baby. If she sees how adorable he is maybe she will want to see him. The other way is for you to go take the baby to her when you are able to and make a surprise visit when she is there of course.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Is she upset or offended in some way? I don't think as a mom I would care. That would have to be put behind me. My mil is kinda that way but at least she came to the hospital to meet the grandbabies
    Anonymous

• I agree with KaraMia15...... Remember it will be her loss in the end... Your son can't miss what was never there (to a point) but she'll miss everything, first steps, first words, first teeth, first photos ect ect... You can't control her & what she wants to do, You have to make the best of it...

Id be nice enough to send her pictures once & awhile & thats it. Let her notice what she is missing.

Congrats on the baby. & enjoy him & the people in your life now... As KaraMia Said, Family are the people that LOVE you, not always people related by Blood (or marrage.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If I were you i would tell her to cut tit out with he excuses and tell you straight up why she is not coming to see you or her grandson.
    if she tells you then you will know...if she comes with another excuse then tell her that if her grandkid and you are not worth her time and little traveling expense then she can just ***************(see here i better stop talking because i am not very understanding with mothers not supporting there daughters if there is no apparent reason....i don't get along with my mother so that infuriates me a bit) good luck to you :)
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• wow! I will never understand the why of this, I would travel the globe to meet my grandchild, and it is a shame your mom is not doing just that, but ultimately it is her loss.

Answer by older at 6:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010