Does my child have ADD? adult content

My son is 8 and in 3rd grade he has been struggling with school since kindergarden I even had him tested to see if he had a learning problem he passed, he s been getting in trouble at school teacher says its not a behavior problem he cant pay attention, looses focus, short attention span, gets frustrated very easily, and now he gets so angry and upset and is acting out at home I don t know what to do my son needs help?

Kimmma

Asked by Kimmma at 5:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like it could be ADD- I'd see a doctor and listen to what they have to say. Medication doesn't have to be your first choice, there are other things you can do. Ultimately we choose medication but our doctor is awesome and didn't put any pressure on us.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Well what does the teacher do to help him? What do you do? I personally believe ADD either does not really exist or can be easily maintained through love and caring!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Get professional opinion first. Another thing people do not realize is they label a child "add" without finding out what type of learner he is. Most children can sit and learn (listening to teacher in classroom, reading a book), but there are those children that are kinetic learners. They tried to label my son ADD and I told them hogwash. Turned out he is a kinetic learner...he learns hands on. And today he is the mildest, most laid back person you could know.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Every night we re doing at least 2 hours of homework he just doesnt get it we re seeing the doctor tomorrow the school isnt helping him get extra help that s why I went to the doctor
    Kimmma

Comment by Kimmma (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the advice
    Kimmma

Comment by Kimmma (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i'm sorry i think all kids have ADD.... it's just in there nature to be that way.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Children suffer from varying degrees of attention deficit. They haven't yet fully developed the ability to concentrate, to filter out what they don't need, to focus on one task at a time, to calmly stay seated for a period of time. This is all a part of learning and growing, of expectations and teaching, of discipline and developing self-regulation.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Only a doctor could tell you for sure but I think that we are too quick to diagnose kids with ADD now a days.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Has the school evaluated/tested him or done an IEP?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010