Is there anything that can make a VBAC more likely to be sucessful?

My sister is 39 weeks pregnant. Her doctor does not want her going past 40 weeks because of her prior c-section and offered to schedule a c-section for today but my sister REALLY wants to have a VBAC.

Her doctor told her that her other option is to come into the hospital Friday night and have her water broken. Then have her walk around to get contractions started.

She really wants to go on her own, and we know she could just choose not to show up to the appointment but she also doesn't want to put herself at risk for a uterine rupture by waiting to long and end up with a c-section anyways.

Is there anything we can do to get labor going OR anything we can do to make a VBAC more likely to be sucessful if they do end up breaking her water on friday?

***SEX IS NOT AN OPTION...Her DH left her when she was 7 months pregnant.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• She can try walking. As long as they just break her water and they DON'T use pitocin or anything else that will help her along. Sorry, i am not much help in the VBAC department. Good luck though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Her risk of uterine rupture doesn't automatically rise after 40 weeks. It sounds like her doctor just isn't supportive of VBAC. In order to give her the best shot at a successful VBAC, she should switch doctors or get a midwife. It's not too late!

Sex may not be an option but orgasm still is. Those are good, and nipple stimulation is also effective. She should have a few orgasms, do about 15 minutes of stimulation, take a greak... few more orgasms, nipple stim, take a break. And walking. And seeing a chiropractor and an acupuncturist.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My doctor wanted me to shoot for 2 weeks early if possible. Thankfully, my daughter was impatient and wanted to come 3 1/2 weeks early. My doctor sent me home on bed rest for a week and I had her V-Back 2 1/2 weeks early. She was healthy with a full head of red hair an inch long!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Get a midwife!!! And a doula!! And an acupuncturist/acupressurist! I agree about the nipple stimulation and masturbation (if she can still reach) and walking.
    Why does this doctor think that something magically happens at 40 weeks that makes uterine rupture more likely to happen?? There is a less than 1% risk of uterine rupture during a VBAC (which is why the low VBAC rate blows my mind). The risk of infection after surgery is higher than that. That includes 42 weeks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010