How does a two year old get rid of a yeast infection?

I've tried the prescribed version of vaginal cream from the pedi, but after two weeks and she's still scratching and irritable. Poor thing! Anyone else have a problem like this? It's my fault for allowing her to sip my coffee I know it. Bad mommy. Help!

LisaNSienna

Asked by LisaNSienna at 6:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dealing with the issue from the outside is important to get relief but then also from the inside. Yeast issues on the outside generally indicate a yeast issue inside - often in the digestive tract. For true healing you want to deal with that as well. We always take a good probiotic to help feed 'the good bugs' so they can be stronger than the bad bugs like yeast. Also, if you take an antiobiotic, even one round, you kill off all bacteria and yeast can become more prolific. So, it's important to take a probiotic 2 hours after each antibiotic, otherwise you can end up with recurring infections and yeast issues. Sugar also feeds yeast so laying off of juice and all sugar is important too. Hope your little one feels better soon!
    AngelleBatten

Answer by AngelleBatten at 6:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think her sipping your coffee would've caused a yeast infection. That usually is due to not changing the diaper enough or not being bathed enough. I agree with the above post about the clothing. If her underwear/diapers aren't fitting her properly then that could prevent air from getting through. Which could cause the bacteria to continue to grow. The Pediatrician should have a number of different antibiotics to give her if the cream didn't work. You should go back to the doctor and make sure that it is infact a yeast infection and not another type of infection. If it's not being treated properly it could get worse.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Your baby probably didn't get a yeast infection from sipping your coffee... If she did, that's the first time I've ever heard of it.. Keep treating her with the cream. A yeast infection can come from being on antibiotics, a warm wet environment for too long, or a bad diaper rash that's not been treated... I would let her go without a diaper as much as you can, so that she dries out. It might be a good time to start potty training... Just a thought.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is not likely that sipping your coffee is related to a yeast infection in a 2yo. Please read link below.
    This is normally caused by antibiotics or not keeping the area dry/clean. (ex Sitting in a wet swim suit too long. )

http://www.amoils.com/treatment/yeast-infection/yeast-infection-children.html

I am not sure if many of the common treatments can be used on children so you should continue to stay in contact with your pedi.

Tea Tree Oil, can help.
    Air out the area.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 6:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Is there anything else the pedi can give you? Is she wearing loose fitting pants/shorts and cotton panties? If she is wearing tight fitting clothes it could stop it from going away.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I used Lotermin when my kids got yeast infections. I would talk to the doctor again and see if what they say. Maybe there is something stronger they can give her.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My now 5 y.o. has chronic yeast issues. When she was in diapers (up til age 2), I didn't realize it was her biology. I used the powdered Desenex, because it is miconazole nitrate 2%, just like monistat, only it is powder and it has a cooling effect. It really worked the best while she was diapered. Post-diapers, I found her to continue to have vaginal irritation and even "yeast" growth...After the pedi launched an investigation of my home and ruled out whatever...Dr. tried many things; no sugar, acidopholus, yogurt, no dairy, etc. Meanwhile, medical exams led to a specialist who did skin reactivity tests. Long story short, my DD has an immodeficiency for candida bacteria (yeast), and her body doesn't recognize it, so doesn't fight it, so it readily grows in opportune areas. She gets tx with miconazole nitrate 2% and baking soda baths, as needed. She's been taught to keep clean and dry. The doctors have no idea what to do.
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 6:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• PS I've tried many holistic approaches. Absolutely no difference. Miconazole nitrate, baking soda baths, clean and dry...that's it.
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 6:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I forgot to mention my little one is potty trained and wears panties. I'm keeping her clothes loose, but I'll definitely check into the probiotics and possibly another trip to the doctor. Thanks for all the good advice.
    LisaNSienna

Comment by LisaNSienna (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You got some awesome advice on here, that is hard to come by.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010