How do I get SO to spend 1 night away from his phone?

Last night we put the kids to bed early made popcorn and had a movie night. Between the 4 kids and him working we barely spend any time together as it is so I was excited to cuddle on the couch with him. Then his phone goes off and I nicely mentioned I thought we said no phones until the movie was over. He said it would be real quick there was a work problem at 11pm when the store had been closed 3 hrs alrdy and he was talking about going to dinner w the guys from work. So then I got rlly irritated. 20 mins later he i still texting and gets the computer out and is helping his ex reset her e-mail password (which she calls to have him do frequently since she apparently is too stupid to do anything on her own) He then spent the next hr the whole rest of the movie listening to the ex complain her bf doesn't spend time with her, she's fighting w her parents, etc. then he went to bed.
I just don't know what to do anymore

rlambert

Asked by rlambert at 6:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Take the phone and throw it in the tiolet.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would have taken the phone, thrown it out the window, smashed the laptop with a sledgehammer, and said "Excuse me, your WIFE wants to spend time with you, put away the electronics or I will throw them away!!!"
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I finally piped up and told my DH that I did not feel comfortable with him having conversations with any exes on the phone. The phone thing has been a battle with my DH. He ALWAYS has it on and almost always answers it. I just told him that we don't have much time alone together and I don't want him on the phone. I have made him shut it off at times. I would tel your SO that it is upsetting how much attention he gives to these other people and he needs to put you first. Perhaps, you could make a house rule that phones go off at a certain time each night. He should not be sitting there ignoring you and talking to his ex. An ex is an ex for a reason and both he and she need to move on. Hope things get better!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 6:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Hide the phone.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• DF did something similar.
    i basically said. hey if you still want to talk to your ex maybe you should be with them instead of me.
    he stopped talking to her pretty quickly after that.

basically you have to be like...how would you feel if i was talking to my ex right now and ignoring you?
    meggo66

Answer by meggo66 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• break the phone
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• O bc the ex was calling that much alone, the phone would go missing. or Opps, get dropped.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• it's not the ex that calls but his work ,dinner time is us and if he answer the phone it is not me who lose time but him,i have moved on the more time my hubby miss are alone time,i have told him you have to want to spend time with me because there will be a time i will not be here and you will miss everthing
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• hide the phone?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010