If a patent expires, and you don't own it, is there a way to fund a new patent?

This is medically related... The drug companies can not research or produce medications which have an expired patent... There is one in particular however that I know for a fact can help MILLIONS of people out there. The problem is at this point you have to go to Canada, Europe or Mexico in order to get it... My DH could not only benefit from it but it could save his life... However, the US patent is expired, I don't own it and don't know who does or why they allowed it to expire in the first place. But I (and many others) would be willing to put up the money to renew the patent which would allow the drug to be sold legally... Or it would at least allow us to push the drug companies to produce it, which we can't do until the patent is legal...

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? Where would we start?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Health

• I'm not 100% certain, but I was under the impression that once a patent expires on an "active ingredient" then it becomes available for generic production and distribution.

This is a link for the US patent and trademark office, but I don't know if drugs are also under this agency (maybe they would be under the Food & Drug Administration)?  Good Luck :-)

http://www.uspto.gov/

5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 7:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thanks, that will at least give me a place to start!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010