Would you seriously switch doctors at 39 weeks pregnant?

I saw a replier tell a post to switch OBGYNs. The poster said her sister was 39 weeks pregnant.

I can not imagine getting comfortable with someone in a matter of a week or 2 so that they could deliver my baby.

Maybe this is just me but unless there was a MAJOR problem (like this doctor lost his license or something inappropriate issue) I would NEVER switch doctors at 39 weeks pregnant.

Would a doctor even take you into his practice at that far along?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I switched about 1 month before I gave birth. I was nervous about it at first, but my new Doc was amazing and made me feel totally comfortable. As long as the new doctor has all of your medical info everything should be fine.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I can't imagine switching that late in the pregnancy... But if it came down to it, if there was an issue with the doctor, or I didn't feel they had my or my babies best interest at heart, I would switch...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes, if I was uncomfortable with the care that I was getting from the current doc.
    sixwasenough4me

Answer by sixwasenough4me at 6:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was the replier. Think of it this way... if your current OB isn't going to give you what you want, or is going to make you fight for it... why would you be comfortable having them there at your birth anyway? If you could find someone who would cooperate and not make it difficult for you, wouldn't you rather have them? Besides, how comfortable can you get with a doctor you see for 10 minutes at a time?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Of course a Dr. would take her a week before delivery. They cannot deny her. But yeah, i would feel uncomofrable doing that too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I dont know about u guys, but I hardly ever get the same Dr. when I go anyways! It doesnt really matter to me, I am gonna do all the work anywasy. If I was going to have a c section then I would be nervous about it, thats very different than just having a catcher~! I had a Dr.s office refuse me at 21 weeks, bc I had not been to a dr yet and they said that made me high risk (blah!)
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I do not know that I would switch doctors that far along. But I can see where Ati is coming from. The practice that I went to had several doctors and midwives. My first few visits I saw the same Dr, but every visit after that I saw a different person so I did not get all that "comfortable" with one person. I did, however, request each time not to see one midwife as she rude and critical when I saw her. If I was seeing her all the time and she acted the way she did at 39 weeks, I probably would consider change OBs too.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes, I did it twice. One time my doctor was a total bitch to me, even told me I should get my tubes tied at 24. Switched @ 38 weeks ASAP, new doctor refused to tie my tubes, and found out I had gestational diabetes, something she never tested for.
    The second time, the clinic kept changing my doctor, and changing opinions and they thought my baby had a heart problem, so I changed doctors. BOTH TIMES.

I don't see why it's fair to question anyone's reasons for it. Their delivery, their experience, and their baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It would completely depend on the situation. I did not see that post but all seriousness I think it really depends on the situation. At first I would say no, but if the situation called for a patient to switch doctors that late in the pregnancy, maybe the patient could just change within the practice. That way the new doctor would already have her file and information.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I switched at 41 wks with my last after my ob told me that I was being melodramatic and worrying over nothing when my dd had stopped kicking and was past my due date and she refused to induce. I ended up going to a hospital in the next state going to the er and having the midwife there induce me that day since she was stressed out from the cord wrapped around her neck. I'd do the same thing again to if it comes down to me being ignored when it's my 3rd pregnancy and I know something is wrong she was lucky I didn't hit her for keeping my dd's life at risk
    rlambert

Answer by rlambert at 8:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010