Food Stamps: A Rant

I am a little ticked at this program. I have WIC and while I am thankful for the help it gives, it just is not enough. All I am able to get is pretty much breakfast food and thank god, formula. Through Medicaide, my case worker kept pushing food stamps at me. We declined many times, but fianlly decided to give it a try since I would be out of work for a little while when I gave birth. To make a long story short, we did not qualify for them because I am a full time student (online) and would be working less then 30 hours a week. So it sounds to me that I am getting screwed over for attempting to better myself. What a stupid rule that if you are going to school you have to work basically full time to get any help! Thank God my son is getting his formula, through WIC, but me and my husband have to live off eggs, milk and cereal for 2 weeks due to a crappy pay check because his job doesnt give paid time off for births.

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• yeah the system sucks...i see all the trouble some of my friends and fam members go through...It's not worst the headache to me.
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 7:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I do not understand how your state can do such a thing! I live in TN. I am a full time student and have a Federal Work Study job and work 10 hours a week and qualify for food stamps. Bless your heart!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If you are trying to better yourself or are doing everything right, meaning married & working, you get screwed! You have to be an unmarried, nonworking, drain on society in order to qualify. I have people in my life who live WELL off of welfare, foodstamps, section 8, medi-cal, SSI, and child support. The system does not cater to those who truly need just a helping hand.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I live in Ohio and am currently unemployed (I got let go from my last job) and they wont give me food stamps until I find another job. If I want food stamps I have to work 38hrs in their building....38hrs of work in their building for 300 foodstamps? I'll eat eggs instead. Still looking for a job
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The government has some crazy rules to qualify for certain things. I'm sorry you got turned down for food stamps. Are there any food pantries in your area? They generally don't make you jump through hoops-just take your word that you need the help.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree....their screening process is garbage. It really depends on the person doing it if they want to help u or not. It makes no sense to me! If I were u I would go write a hot check at Walmart to get some food. Some times u have to do what u have to do. As long as u have $1 in your account it will go thru....2 dozen eggs are only going to stretch so far...
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That's odd my BBF sister sits in her but collecting her 2 kids 'disability' and getting food stamps. Hasn't worked or been to school in 10 years.
    Anonymous

• Yea, and I only get a dozen!
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My case worker told me if I dropped out of college I would have qualified for them.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Come to TN sweety. They work more with you here.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010