My son's sleeping problem.

My son will sleep through the night sometimes, but not always. When he sleeps over at his grandmother's house he sleeps through the night for her, but not always at home.
I do give him a bottle when he goes to bed, and I've tried to not give it to him, but he is inconsolable if I don't put him to bed with a bottle.
I've tried to put him to bed without one, just being tired and that worked like one time, but other than that he isn't having it.
I need some serious help. He is almost 8months and I can't do the sleepless nights anymore.

Kimberly_Adam

Asked by Kimberly_Adam at 3:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been there. My little girl slept through the night - bedtime to morning - for the first time at 10 months old. Then she didn't do it again until she was over 12 months old. In the end, I had to let her cry. She was in the habit of waking up and seeing me in the middle of the night - that's all it was, a habit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with kaycee14. Babies get used to the way you send them to bed. Sometimes, they wake in the night and whatever they get then to put them to sleep becomes another habit. My daughter was allowed to cry at six months. She cried less each night until she put got into the habit of falling asleep on her own. You can go in and check after five minutes and pat his back but say nothing and leave. Let the minutes between this get longer until he is asleep. This may take some time but it will be successful if you stick with it. I am hoping your bottle has water because he will have painful cavities if you send him to sleep with juice or milk. It's called "bottle rot". Give it a try. I feel for you.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008