If your adult child constantly had issues with their SO would you let them keep coming home or make them figure it out themselves.

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 7:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I guess it would depend on what the issues are. If they are just squabbling over nothing, then probably not. However, if it was something serious like domestic violence then my home would be open to them in a heart beat.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• They have to figure it out themselves eventually.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Unless they were facing homelessness, I would never let them stay with me. If they are old enough to have those issues they are old enough to learn to deal with them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Well I would never turn my child away but yes they need to figure things out on their own.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My 24yo son was married for 3 years and finally got out of an abusive marriage to a very controlling woman. He is currently living with us. For the last 2 1/2 years (while he's been having problems) we have been there for him, talking to him and listening to him and praying that one day he'd wake up before it was too late. We thought we knew how bad it was, in the last 1 1/2 weeks since he's been home we aahve learned that it was worse than we thought. I would never turn my back on my adult child, ever. If they need us, we guide them. If they need us, we help them. We are the older and hopefully wiser ones and they are still learning and sometimes need their paernts to just be there for them.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The should figure it out themselves, but my home will always have an open door policy for them.

Answer by older at 7:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Ditto older.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• you dont stop being a mother when your children are grown you should always help your children under any circumstances...im not bashing but they need someone in their lives that they can count on anytime, time after time.
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Everybody deals with different issues with their SO. If they come to you for advice, give them something to think about rather than telling them what to do. The last thing you will want is your child coming to you saying that, "Well you told me to do this, and it didn't work." So, the best thing you can do is stay out of if unless it's abuse, there are some things people have to decide for themselves.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Tell them both that they need to respect eachother, regardless.
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2010