How do I handle my 5 y.o. being "know-it-all"?

She really is super sharp and pays attention to how things are done, which of course, to her is how things 'should' be done... So let daddy or gramma or sister do something differently, and boy, we got a teacher!

fohtrae

Asked by fohtrae at 7:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As long as she is not being mean or ridiculing - let her teach. She may be the greatest teacher as an adult as a result..
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 10:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When my daughter used to play teacher she was MEAN!!! She's getting much nicer about it now. She is 5 and at the moment wants to be a teacher when she grows up.
    CBMMOM

Answer by CBMMOM at 11:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Just let her know that that attitude is not becoming.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• As long as she isn't rude, I would let her know that you appreciate her help, but that there are many ways to do _________________ and just because it isn't done the same way doesn't mean its not right. Gently helping her learn tolerance will help her in so many areas, but don't lecture her. It sounds like she is coming from a place of wanting to help, which is great.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 11:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would tell her that it is not polite to be a know it all, it is OK to have an opinion, but not to be rude or snotty about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• This is when you teach her when it's appropriate to say something and when it's not appropriate. GL
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010