Suggestions for kids who constantly bicker?

My kids are 12, 9 and 5. I'm so tired of the bickering, name calling and being frusterated with each other. Some days it's just non stop. They can get along and play well together but it's very rare and it doesn't last long. Any suggestions on maybe some activities I can do with them, or things I can say to them to help them realize they need to be nice to each other? Anything you can think of please!

mochamomof3

Asked by mochamomof3 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• ever thought about just letting them duke it out themselves?
    Anonymous

• Tell them they have to sit and be quiet and not get up until each other has given the other permission to.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I saw on Super Nanny once that the whole family should play board games together and have teams. Then alternate who is on each team. The kids have to be team mates whenever it ends up that way. It fosters cooperation.

My son and DIL have a kindness chart for their kids. They get a point or sticker for doing kind things. Then when they reach a certain number of points they have a dinner out, day trip, etc. Just ideas............Good Luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I "punish" by saying "Fine, you can't hang out/play together. You may not talk to each other." Each is given a room (with very little to do in it) to go spend time alone. When the boredom kicks in, don't let them play together for some time (your call). When you do, let them know that if they start again, they will not be allowed to be together (or with any friends) for X amount of time. Then let them know that the lesson here is, they either stop fighting, or learn to walk away from each other when necessary.
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 7:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• when me or any of my siblings ever bickered with one another my mother would make us sit on the couch and hold hand... and we are all still very close to this day.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my mom tried the whole 'you aren't allowed to play with each other' thing and I was in Heaven!
    but she didn't put me somewhere to get bored either.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I separate my kids when they get like that. After they spend an hour or so in their rooms they are fine.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 8:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2010