How can I get my SO to start picking up after himself??

Everywhere he goes he leaves a mess. It's not a horrible problem. But it does bother me. I try to keep the house as clean as possible. I feel disrespected when he doesn't bother to take his plates or glasses to the sink. Or he leaves his work pants in the middle of the living room floor when he comes home. I feel like a bitch when I ask him to clean up after himself.. I don't want to be a nag, but I'm sick of seeing his crap everywhere!

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• when you figure it out let me know haha. my husband is the same way. honestly, i find that if you make small hints here and there its better than making a huge deal all at once. my husband stays home with the kids while i take classes in the morning and i used to always come home to him watching tv while the kids napped and the house was a disaster. at first i freaked and it did nothing. but then i just asked before i left "hey could you please do the dishes before i get back" and he did. then a few days later i asked if he would pick up the toys after the kids went down for there nap, and he did. now i come home to a pretty much clean house, besides the crumbs all over the place that he doesn't sweep up but honestly im glad he does what he does to help so i just take care of that.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• For a while, i started throwing EVERYTHING he left laying around in a big basket. I didn't care what it was (except my dishes, but he's pretty good about those). When he started running out of clothes and couldn't find things, he realized where it all was. We've had a few discussions about it, and he does a lot better now!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Read the book For Better or For Best by Gary Smalley. He tells women how to get their men to do things like that
    Anonymous

• Stop picking up behind him... He knows you are going to take care of it so he does it..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That's the thing, I don't clean up after him. Sometimes I secretly mess his mess up a little more, so that maybe he'll notice it more and pick it up. I just don't like nagging all the time. I don't want to seem like a tight ass. I will say this, he is a little better than before. But that took a lot of bitching.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• are you a SAHM? if you are then suck it up & clean it up. He is not disrespecting you IMPO.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No I'm not a stay at home mom. I work just like he does.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Tell me please too i need to know
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 1:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010