I was reading an blog on "The Stir". I made a great point...

It was referring to kids that had formula in the past (I mean our parents/grandparents) and how you hear the argument that they turned out just fine. Well, back then, after formula you ate whole foods mainly...there was no such thing as processed foods. So, yes, they had a good start.
Fast forward to today: We hear the argument for BF/FF. Well, we all know that formula is a processed food. Breast milk is not. But, if your kid had formula and you chose to feed him healthy when he weaned, your kid will still be fine. If you BF and then feed nothing but, processed crap, your kid will not benefit from his time BF because he is eating crap.

Now, if you BF, then, only feed healthy, whole foods and organic and nutritious foods, then, there is where the BF pays off...your child will be healthier.

This also explains the rise in deaths from heart disease, cholesterol and diabetes...better eating would help.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 7:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The recent article about HFCS in Formula makes me want to cry,. A company that is supposed to have small childrens health in mind feeds them substandard product
    mrsmommy2007

Answer by mrsmommy2007 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That is not evidence-based. There is no replacement for breastfeeding, especially since that first year is so critical for development. Even babies who are breastfed and then fed junk still have lower risks of many illnesses and higher IQs.

That is not to say that there is replacements for healthy eating, either. You increase some risks for your child by feeding junk as well. Ideally babies would be breastfed, fed healthy foods and then eventually weaned to only healthy foods.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It does make sense, but feeding junk does not cancel out breastfeeding and formula feeding is not canceled out by feeding healthy foods later.

It's important to bear in mind that almost none of us eat a 100% healthy diet in America, anyway. I don't advocate for formula feeding, but it's certainly not the worst thing in the world, for sure! And feeding healthy foods in compliment to-and as a replacement for-formula is a very good thing :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• interesting
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• bumping for later.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes, but, it does make sense. May not always hold true, but, I can see where it could. My kids will be BF, followed by healthy fed. So, I'm not worried.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• breastfeeding benefits not only eating habits but everything from growth to immune systems to brain development. i'm sorry for the op if you don't understand the difference and how you can be so judgemental of other people's decisions of how to feed their families. if you want to put other mom's on guilt trips for feeding their breastfed baby pureed carrots from a jar, then i guess you should come right on over with your bag of organic carrots and organic chicken and cook and can every bit of it for their children. if not, then maybe you should think about changing how you view how others feed their own babies and just focus on your own.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2010