is it selfish to go back to school now?

I have been doing some thinking and I realized that I want to go back to school and take some writing classes and hopefuly make some contacts in the writing world. I am unsure if I want to try to be a novelist right away or try to become a colunmist for a while but I am sure that I want to go back to this childhood dream and make it my career. But here is my problem I am a mother to two great kids and I have a third on the way (due in February) and I am worried that maybe it is selfish to go chasing dreams with a good sized family to suport. My husband has an alright job and he still isn't sure what he wants to be when he grows up so he plans to stick with what he is doing for a while. Is it wrong of me to go back to school instead of just getting a decent paying job and plugging through until my kids are grown? Right now all of my job experience is in sales and I am good at it but it doesn't make m happy. What do you think?

pregoagain2010

Asked by pregoagain2010 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in

• Follow your dream while it is still fresh in your mind, being happy with what you do will make you a better mom.

Answer by older at 7:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I recently decided to be a SAHM...mainly because I had my daughter and wanted to have my time with her just as I was able to with my first dd. But when I was working full time (as a financial advisor), I also went to school (for marketing) and am still going to school. I have 2 dd and will eventually go back to work but am also still working on finishing my degree. You should definitely pursue higher education because it will be beneficial for you and your family. This in no way is selfish on your part! I know not all moms are able to do the the stay-at-home-mom-thing but now you have more options with school (online and night classes). Its never too late to try to figure out what you want to do when you grow up (I always say that because I have changed my major 3 times now). You and your spouse can both go to school. Im in my bachelors program and my husbands getting his MBA and we are 25, so its not too late!
    pamjp

Answer by pamjp at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Not at all if that is what you would like to do.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Never to late to follow a dream.. School always good...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i would do school then write on the side of another job until you can make a living doing it. children shouldn't have to suffer bc it doesn't always pan out the way you might think it should. i know people that have went to school and did what they thought they would love and they found out if wasn't for them. it happens but gl
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i once read that woman was 90+ age finish her high school , and getting ready for collage ,and she was ask if she could do anything different what would she do ,i would have like have done it younger but back then i was thinking of my family ,and my dream was always to finish school and i have done that,so if your dream is to go back go for it and hold your head up high mom, i guess it never to late maybe i should start thinking i 've always wanted to be baker
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• it is never to late to go back to school...i think if it is something that you have dreamed of doing, then do it! im not going to lie, it will be hard but with enough drive and patience you can do it!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Why would following your dreams, getting an education so you can get a great job be selfish? If you haven't noticed, there aren't many decent paying jobs around. GO TO SCHOOL!!! The less money you make, the more grants and scholarships you will get to help pay for school. Going to school and getting an education will teach your kids how much you value an education.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't think so. You are going to school to better yourself. You are also providing an excellen example to your children that it is never too late and to follow your dreams. Best of luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• course not
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

Next question in
adding subtracting help

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
Need bean recipes