7.5 month old with fever-- suggestions please

We noticed last night she was warm.. but she was acting just fine. She usually sleeps 10-12 hours a night.. straight through.. well last night she was up four times. Today after we picked her up from daycare.. she felt very warm! We took her temp rectally.. it was 104.1. We called the nurse on call and she said to give her some tylenol and unless she goes unresponsive tonight they don't need to see her.. I also gave her her other symptoms of runny nose and a cough... after the tylenol her temp came down to 102.2 rectally.. I called the nurse back because I am extremely worried. She said it sounds like she has a ear infection and that we should make an appointment... and unless her fever is over 105.0 rectally not to bring her in. Not to mention sh smells different.. not bad like sweat but more sweet almost like an air freshener... I'm still very worried... I thought babies always had to go in if their fever was over 103?

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if its thats high go to the emergency room but yea u should give her tylenol and dont over dress her or put a blanket on her when my son had a fever they told me to have him just wear a little shirt or to take his clothes of and leave his diaper on but if its that high dont wait just go straight to the ER
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• like 104.1 to the er? or 102.2 to the er?
    fenska87

Comment by fenska87 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It's normal to be worried and frankly I would be too. The nurse sounds right on target, though. Babies tend to have high temps when they get sick. To help bring the fever down use a cool damp cloth and children's tylenol. Be sure to keep a log of how many doses and times you've given it to her so you don't lose track while worrying. Go to the pedi as soon as they can get you in. Are you breast feeding still? If so, keep it up. If not try snuggling skin to skin if she wakes up crying through the night and has trouble getting back to sleep. Other than that there really isn't anything else you can do for her. Stay calm and hold her as much as she needs it. Baby will feed off your emotions so keep your cool. I'm sure she will be fine. I had similar problems with my little girl. She is almost 3 now. :) God bless.

Lisa
    LisaNSienna

Answer by LisaNSienna at 7:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I know that it's scary when your baby has a fever. The good thing is that the tylenol brought the fever down. If it hadn't, they would have seen her right away.

I would give her a warm bath and keep her hydrated. If it seems like lying down is bothering her trying putting a little warmed (slightly warm to the touch) olive oil in her ears. It will soothe them. The most important thing is keeping her hydrated (count wet diapers) and comfortable.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I say keep calling the nurse if you are worrying thru the night- that's what they are there for. But unless baby gets other symptoms than the fever it will probably be ok. Babies do get high fevers- my DD had 103+ recently with vomitting and the doctor told me the same things you are hearing when I fully thought he was going to be sending me to the emergency room. Try a cool cloth on her cheeks to help cool her down and skin to skin contact with you is a great idea because it can help regulate her body temperature. Offer her plenty of breast milk or formula, too, to help hydrate. If you mother's intuition tells you to go to the ER then listen, worst case they will send you home and you will rest easier. But if you stay home keep a log and don't be afraid to call the nurse with questions or any changes in symptoms or temp. Best of luck and hang in there!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Take her to the doctor.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• her whole body smells sweet is that weird?
    fenska87

Comment by fenska87 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010