Not gaining weight?? 1 wk old

My bff's daughter is a week old, she was 8lbs 9oz at birth. when she left the hospital she was 8lbs 4oz and at her checkup today she was the same weight. Her dr wants to see her again Thurs to see if she gains weight, they switched her formula she was eating 2oz every 3hrs. Does this sound ok? right? advice or tips please!! I never had this issue with either of my girls.

mopargurl

Asked by mopargurl at 7:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son lost a whole pound before he left the hospital and it took him 3 weeks to gain it back. He's healthy.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• it took my DS 3 weeks to get back to his birthweight....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• k there is nothing wrong with the baby, why are they making a problem where the isnt any. so was she bf and then went to being formula feed?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• that's what i'm trying to figure out! she eats poops and sleeps normally, rarely spits up and when she does it's only a little. the dr told her to try and feed her every 2 hrs to see if she'll gain weight and all that did was upset her belly, so mom stopped that and let's her eat when she wants. No she was always formula fed, her milk still hasn't come in, she was planning on it but mother nature had other ideas i guess.
    mopargurl

Comment by mopargurl (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Have her ask a lot of questions at the appoinment to understand the Dr's concerns.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• the dr keeps going on and on about how she hasn't gained any weight, other than that they've declared her perfect.
    mopargurl

Comment by mopargurl (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Maybe she needs to go see a different doctor. I know my preemie hardly gains weight and I had to FF her just so she could put on some weight. She is also #4.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Tell her to dump the formula. Her milk will take longer, or won't come in at all if baby is getting her food elsewhere. Baby needs to nurse to stimulate production and she will get colostrum (which is very high in calories: 1oz of colostrum is equal to 16 oz of formula).

Weight loss is normal. She could have gotten down to 7lbs 12oz and it would have been 100% normal. And it can take some time to gain back. Also, weighing on different scales doesn't count. They will be calibrated differently and that can mean a difference of oz and that's what we're talking here.

Go tell her to THROW AWAY THE FORMULA before it's too late. Her baby is normal, there's nothing wrong with her. Since she's just starting to actually nurse now, expect more weight loss or stasis. Her milk should be in in a couple days and she should expect near constant nursing in the meantime. 100% okay. She needs to rest anyway.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thank you all! I relayed all the messages to her and she's going to keep doing what she's doing. She is seeing another Dr tomorrow so hopefully this one will be ok with her weight.
    mopargurl

Comment by mopargurl (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010