how do you prevent kids from doing drugs?

my sister just found out about her 15 year old doing marijuana and the more she tryed to be with him and pay attention to him it was a school at the sports and you see that is every where. what can she do?

miansmommy

Asked by miansmommy at 7:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• tell them the truth that it is very scary and you can become addicted and die eventually and it will scare them into not doing it hopefully
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• and also it could ruin your life like you wont b able to get a job you could get kicked out of school u coukd get raped or have something scary happen while ur under the influence just tell her things that will make her really think about it
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Honestly, there is nothing you can do to stop them short of locking them in their room for life. You can educate them, talk with them, spy on them, trust them, be involved with them but when it really comes down to it there is nothing the parents can do. It's out there and it's a choice kids will have to make- you just have to hope they make the right one.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• She can explain to him that anything chemically process is bad for you, she can also explain that if he is caught with it, he might get arrested. I honestly would not make a big deal of it unless things change in his routine or grades, better weed than alcohol or harder drugs, even prescription! He will keep on doing it when she is unaware, I would educate myself on marijuana before blowing her top.
    Then I would go back with knowledge and truths and advise him of the down side of it.

Answer by older at 8:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Talk with them all the time. Respect their opinions. Be as close as you can by doing activities with them and they will want to spend time with you. Love them. Pray. Cross your fingers.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think we can educate, scare, and threaten until we are blue in the face but ultimatley it is the childs choice. And that's where they learn that there are consequences that come with their choices.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wish I had a really good answer for this but the only three things I can think of is, one show him the truth like pictures and video of what drug addicts look like and the horrible deaths they sometimes have, two if that's not enough bring him to meetings Alcoholics and Addicts Anonymous where I'm sure many of them will tell him to never start, and three just watch him like a hawk. But the truth is you can only prevent so much, he has to make the decision to never want to do that again and to not want to live that way.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is honestly nothing you can do in my opinion. I chose not to even try them bc I grew up with both my parents smoking pot and my dad done meth a lot when I was younger. Being around it and seeing first hand what it does to a person and a family kept me away from drugs.I still haven't done drugs and I'm married, have a nice house, 2 perfect little girls, and Im going to school to be an RN and I know that if you want things in life you can't do drugs and stayed stoned out of your mind all the time like I seen my dad so many times. So maybe a good way to keep them from doing it is personally showing them first hand what it's like to be around people like that and show them what kind of lifestyle they have and maybe "scare" them straight.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Educate them... And I don't mean tell them about what CAN or COULD happen... I mean take them to a shelter and have them volunteer with these people... Addicts are scary, I know... Nothing scares a kid straight like sitting down between two stinky, homeless, scratchy addicts for dinner... Let them understand exactly where this road leads.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think there is really much you can do at this point. You can talk, tell them you're concerned, tell them why, educate them, remind them you love them and want the best for them...that's really unless you plan to lock them up under 24/7 survelance. I agree with Sabrina I'd take them to the shelter, or talk to their peditrician and they can talk to the child.
    At 15 children are breaking away from their parents, trying to be independent, trying to find themselves and trying to fit in. It'll be a tough battle I think to make them stop, punshiment will only push them further I believe.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010