A baby's eyes if they're born premature...

My SIL went into early labor and had her baby this morning at 29 weeks. I seen pictures on Facebook and his eyes weren't covered up at all and he was trying to open them. The reason I'm asking about this is bc I had an ex bf who had a sister that was born at 31 weeks and the Dr didn't cover her eyes up as soon as she came out and she's blind now and the mom sued the hospital bc they were supposed to bandage them since the retina's weren't fully formed yet. Has something changed since then and they don't have to put something over the babies eyes or what?

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was 2 months early...they did not cover her eyes immediately. They have these cool, foamy 'sun-glasses' that protect them from the bili-lights. They have to do these horrid eye exams while they are in the nicu and before they go home because of being on oxygen. The oxygen can make them have damage...if they catch it early with the eye exams they can do surgery and save the babies eye sight. No worries. :) Let me know if you need to talk or have any more questions. I know how unbelievably stressful this is. Wish your SIL best of luck. God Bless.

chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 8:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I saw a lot of babies that small when my son was in the NICU without their eyes being covered.They must know what they are doing, and something must be different now.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I know their eyes can be damaged from the oxygen and the bili lights, but, never heard of them needing covered all the time for their retinas.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• no, they don't need their eyes covered if they're out in the open like pp said
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• This---I know their eyes can be damaged from the oxygen and the bili lights, but, never heard of them needing covered all the time for their retinas.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010